Alfa Romeo Forum banner

wiper and electric window probs

830 views 10 replies 0 participants last post by  crippy 
G
#1 ·
Hi! ive got a few things to ask about....firstly my nearside window wiper blade keeps knocking my bonnet when its comes down, has anyone else experianced this? is there a cure?

Also my drivers side electric window doesnt work properly, it will only move about 2-3 inches before it cuts out then i have to wait a few seconds before it will move again and then it moves just a couple of inches again. Any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks!

Rob :)

G
#2 ·
Hi Rob.
The wipers do this an just about everyones car. The passenger wiper should be angled up the way. A lot of people place it flat like the drivers side. But this is incorrect.
Alfaowner also sells a 156 wiper conversion for ~£50. This uses shorter 20inch blades and is good for stopping the annoying judder.

Marlon

G
#3 ·
Tell me about it... I have a sunroof that *sometimes* opens and then won't close.

My driver's window clicks but doesn't move at all.

I keep trying to get round to fixing it all but usually something else more important plays up first.

Ralf S.

G
#4 ·
Hi guys

The windscreen wiper problem is "normal" :) as said earlier. You could try moving it on the spline, I've done this before. The wiper end is softer metal then the spline and cuts its way on when new. Easy to position wrongly. Mark where it lies now and see if it will go up one notch on the spline without contacting with the other blade. Or do the conversion mentioned!

Window-guess the switch or motor are on the way out. It may be worth cleaning and lubricating the mechanism in case there is some drag stopping it from moving.

wrinx

G
#5 ·
yeh spray some WD40 down the sides of the channel and see if that works.it could be rust in the channels pushing the felt tight and pressing on the glass.take it all out and see if i moves ok out of the car.

G
#6 ·
Hi Rob

I fitted a pair of Volvo(ugh) 440 wipers with 1 20" blade & 1 21"blade. Cost me £3 for the wiper arms from the scappy and £10 for 2 new blade units from my local motor factor. best £13 I,ve spent on my 155 sup :) er

G
#7 ·
Mike

didnt see much of you at PAD, not much time for chat, sorry :eek:

Did you do anything to the wiper motor when you changed over? Presume the change has stopped the juddering?

cya soon wink

wrinx

G
#8 ·
Hi Wrinx

Guess you were a bit busy what with doing most of the organizing. Still I had chance to meet plenty of other 155 owners. It was good to get them all(well nearly all) parked together. Hope I didn't upset anyone from the Derbyshire section when I moved my car from their area to join the 155's.

As for the wipers I didn't do anything else when I fitted the volvo ones. I have had the motor opened up twice in the past to cure the hesitation you sometimes get though. :eek:

G
#9 ·
I've used Volvo 44o arms too (from scrappers) with 20" (or was it 22?) on drivers and 19" on passengers.Cured problem of bonnet contact and judder but lift off a bit at 70mph+
Were quite a few ideas to solve jerky motion/judder on intermittent wipe on site ages ago- slip rings on motor I think - try search.

G
#11 ·
Hi
I have just had my whole wiper system replaced cos i had all the problems going...juddering wipers and blades hitting the bonnet, i had knakered motor worn rack and tired arms.
which meant new motor and mechanism, new rack and wipers were converted to 145 arms with 1 19" blade and 1 21" blade. it all came to about £300 which was nice (not) but my wipers are now superb, quiet, smooth....come on rain bring it on.

Alfa aid in maidenhead did all the work and used only genuine parts.

hope that helps.

ta ta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.