Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever put winter tyres on 155 with 205/50/R15. I can't get stud tyres this size. I've been told that I can use 195/60/R15. I am worried that there might not be enough clearance...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
195/60/15 is the tyre size fitted to the "Supers". These sit 15mm higher but I don't think you'll have a problem with clearance as the rolling radius will be the same which means the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre remains unchanged.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marlon. I don't know anything about tyre sizes. I don't want to appear stupid but can you explain how the tyre can sit 15mm higher but the rolling radius not change....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Think Marlon means the Super's ride hight is 15mm higher, rather than the sidewall of the tyre being 15mm higher... a 195 60 15 has a bigger rolling radius than a 205 50 15
Are you looking to fit a snow tyre Colm? if so, go for the skinniest that will fit your rim. a narrower tyre gives much better grip in snow as it doesn't spread the weight of the car as much. I used to live in Aberdeenshire and I can confirm that the 155 is a truly appalling car in snow. (I had 225/40/ZR16's). I was on the point of going to the scrappy and buying a couple of little skinny rims with the right pcd and fitting some vredestein snow tyres..moved to Kent now though so winter grip aint so much of a problem- the roads stay black down here! Was thinking of a 155/165 width on a 14 diameter wheel.

Cheers

Dunc

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunc

Living in Norway now. In snow up to my ****!!!
I have thought about new rims and tyres to suit but I plan to sell my car in the near future (I feel the need for more power, to spend money I haven't got and because my license can't be taken off me here to completely abuse this!!!).

I found a website that suggests tyre sizes to use
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Based on this I will try to get 195 55 15 - with studs. This is within the suggested % difference.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The Supers standard tyre size is 195 x 55 x 15 and yes the springs are approximately 15mm higher than the Sport. I have a Super with -35mm Eibachs and run 225 x 40 x 16 wheels and tyres with no fouling problems.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts