Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting winter tyres on my MiTO - has anyone tried this? Particularly interested in what they might be like if I leave them on all year round?

·
Registered
156 Posts
In summer they will wear of very quickly because they have a soft compound compared to summer tyres, so not a good idea. Winter tyres are said to be better only below 7°C and in snow of course.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
In summer they will wear of very quickly because they have a soft compound compared to summer tyres, so not a good idea. Winter tyres are said to be better only below 7°C and in snow of course.
+1 My brother uses them, but he's in Nova Scottia.

Soon as the snow goes he switches over to a set of normal tyres he keeps in the garage. They wear in no time in normal conditions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Winter tires are mandatory here in Finland from 1 December onwards till spring, can´t leave my garage without them:) If you want ONE advice that counts, it is the fact, that narrow is better. This is due the fact, that pressure and therefore grip is bigger when cars weight is concentrated to smaller area. Dont use them in summer; heat will wear them out guickly and you dont want to ruin your driving experience because they are always inferior compared to proper summer tires:D

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am thinking about putting winter tyres on my MiTO - has anyone tried this? Particularly interested in what they might be like if I leave them on all year round?
It is absolutely certain that someone has done this, because in many countries practically everyone changes their tyres twice a year. One set of wheels for summer and one for winter. The only way to drive unless you live somewhere where it is never freezing.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I found my mito a nigjtmare in the snow.last year, i had to be towed about 15 times, i need to get some this year because i use.my mito for my job delivering pizzas and dont think my customers.would be very happy if they had.to tow me to their house!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I put a pair of Nankang SV-2 snow tyres on my 155TB last weekend (215/45/17-V 91w). I am not putting four on as the two on the drive wheels will get me in and out of carparks, around and about the side roads and i will not be racing around in the snow because the back tyres are summers.

So far things are great, they feel not much different to summer tyres...whizzing around roundabouts etc is fine and this week has been above 7oc and below 7oc....on a 40 mile journey you could feel the car was almost sticking to the road the other night.

Very happy I have snow tyres on the front now, the Mito was rubbish last winter going up and down hills etc..to the extent we used a nissan micra instead in the household on the really bad days.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I really want snow tyres but cant afford it at the moment. Looks like snow socks for me.

Anyone tried them for going up and down hills??
You can afford an Alfa Romeo QV, but not to buy tyres for it? False economy. In the long run it doesn't cost more two run winter tyres because you are not wearing out your summer tyres while using the winter tyres.

And please don't buy some dangerous chinese tyres, it's a waste of money.

P.S. winter tyres are not only good for snow, but also superior in cold temperatures

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You can afford an Alfa Romeo QV, but not to buy tyres for it? False economy. In the long run it doesn't cost more two run winter tyres because you are not wearing out your summer tyres while using the winter tyres.

And please don't buy some dangerous chinese tyres, it's a waste of money.

P.S. winter tyres are not only good for snow, but also superior in cold temperatures
I have 4 tyres on it. I'm going to have to buy 4 new ones next year so my X-mas is going to be spent working overtime for them and of course tax and insurence. I'm not fortunate enough to have a full time job so half my wage goes on the Mito. I'm only asking about snow socks because I really only need them to get up and down an untreated hill. Once at the bottom the roads are usually fine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I never had a problem last year with the snow and ice and i have the perrelli p z neros on? I was almost stuck up a hill once but i stuck it in A mode and into second gear and it got me out, i was the only one arriving for work last christmass. It was slippy in some places and roads but i just drove slow and steady and gave myself plenty of distance

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Nangkang sv-2 are scrubbed in now and hold the road fab in the cold, wet and yesterday on roads with 1 - 2 cms of snow.

They came 8th out of 10 places in autoexpress with 83 points (i think) out of 100....the summer tyres in the same snow test scored -35 points out of 100....and the top continental tyres scored 90 out of 100 points...whilst the nankangs cost £72 each...the Continental's cost £180...so really not worth the massive extra cost for another 7 points improvement on handling in my book :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Had just front snow tyres on the Mito last winter,and previous two winters on a Mini One, and no problems with getting about. Pains me to say it but Mini felt more secure in snow. As for snow socks, I used them on my company C320 C Class Merc two years ago and they are marvellous. For @£80 they will get you home in worst conditions .Only big problem is they are speed limited to appox 30mph.But in heavy snow you probably will not be going much faster anyway. Also they wear quickly on tarmac

1 - 20 of 29 Posts