Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some second hand winter tyres with at least 4,5mm tread. 225-215/45-50/17 I tried wanted section with no joy.

S

·
0 Posts
Why not new, that'd include fitting and 8mm of tread?

PS unless you lice in the middle of nowhere normal tyres are just as good on slush and salty road goo.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Winter tyres = waste of money fad item. I never got stuck once on summer tyres, because I can drive.

I know a guy who works on a body shop, and he reckons he sees more cars with front end damage on winter tyres than regular tyres. People get lulled into a false sense of security, go too fast, hit ice (no rubber tyre works on ice) and simply hit the car in front even harder.

Driver training is the key.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Winter tyres = waste of money fad item. I never got stuck once on summer tyres, because I can drive.

I know a guy who works on a body shop, and he reckons he sees more cars with front end damage on winter tyres than regular tyres. People get lulled into a false sense of security, go too fast, hit ice (no rubber tyre works on ice) and simply hit the car in front even harder.

Absolutely. I've never been stuck either. Some people just have lousy judgement.

However, I have almost been stuck on inclines I have little choice but to negotiate in poor conditions where winter tyres would have been useful. That said, on these occasions the road is usually blocked by other people who've got stuck anyway.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Just out of interest what is the GTA like in the snow? I would of thought that the heavy lump over the front wheels helps with traction quite a bit?

Also another vote for snow socks, I used them last year on my 145QV and worked a treat so already got some ready this year for the GTA and got winter tyres fitted on the Cinq as it's my daily...bring on the snow I say :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Whilst there is no question driving ability is key whatever the weather conditions the debate over Winter vs Summer tyres comes down to the tempratures we experience. Below 7C Winter tyre compounds work better both in terms of grip and wear. Above then Summer tyres are better. Putting winter tyres on does not make you safer if you cannot drive according to the conditions.

In my experience the GTA with its heavy V6 gives good traction on snow with either tyre but Winters are better when it gets bloody cold.

·
Registered
912 Posts
*SMUG*

I can drive and I still have winter tyres. I can reverse too but still have wing-mirrors. ;)

Depends entirely on how easier (therefore safer) you want your driving experience to be.

Stupid drivers will always have accidents no matter what driving-aids they have.

C

·
0 Posts
I put a pair of Pirelli Sotto Zero's on the front of mine last year. The grip they had combined with a LSD was phenominal compared with summer Tyres.

As someone who has actually tried them I can honestly say they are worth it!

I've still got them in storage this year BTW (225/45/17) as the GT''s on 18's.

C

·
0 Posts

Ever tried them?

Afterall, buckinghamshire is well known for it's hills isn't it?:rolleyes:

As for the crash damage aspect, given my own experiences with them, it's far more likely that the fool behind you that thinks he can "drive" who hasn't acounted for the fact you can stop much quicker than he can on his summer tyres will end up using your car to stop.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
A couple of winters ago, I was involved in a small bump on the M4. It had started to snow heavily and the motorway quickly became covered. I turned off onto a slip road (heading downhill), at a speed of about 20mph. At the bottom of the slip road by the roundabout it was carnage - cars everywhere at all angles, even a Jag XK8 stuck sideways on a crash barrier. Nothing in front of me for about 100m, so I slowed down everso slowly and carefully. And still I slid and slid and slid for about 40m - absolutely nothing I could do at about 5mph into the back of a van. It was a crazy ridiculous situation - and infuriating.

That was why I put winter tyres on last year, and the control I had was night and day in similar situations. There is a reason why the rest of Europe insist on them - they really do work, and it is not a case of being able to drive or not, and not just a question of getting stuck (or not).

·
Registered
912 Posts
There is only one thing guaranteed in the "Winter Tyres are Good/Waste of Money" debate:

The willy-wavers (because it is always men) who say they are not needed or are a "fad" have NEVER TRIED THEM.

Believe me, if you've actually used them you would never slate them again. They take sooooo much stress out of winter driving.

·
Registered
381 Posts

I REALLY don't understand this post (or at least the part I've quoted above).

I too live in Bucks, and I live on a plateau, at the top of a hill (possibly several hills). I can't get more than about 2 miles from my house without going down a steep hill, and I can't get back home again without going up a steep hill. Because the roads in the area are not that well travelled, when it snows they don't get gritted, they don't get ploughed, and the snow doesn't get removed by the general volume of traffic.

With summer tyres on I am well a truely stuck.

Snowsocks work brilliantly, but...............

Once you get onto major roads you have to remove them, and then you have to re-fit them to get the last 3 or 4 miles back home again.

I'm getting winter tyres fitted tomorrow.

I really do fail to see how "I can drive" would make a difference when there just isn't any grip to be had, AT ALL. If by "I can drive" the poster is referring to the fact that in the conditions I have mentioned they would stay at home and not attempt to drive, well that's not really the point is it.

Still, it takes all sorts.

K

·
0 Posts
winter tyres do work well in winter, better than summer tyres. but that's not to say that summer tyres can't be used.

i would say a lot depends on where you live and the road gradients/volume of traffic you encounter.

here in lincs it is pretty flat so i can struggle around on summer tyres as i can always get moving. when i go anywhere near a hill it gets tricky though.

basically if you want them then get them. just get 4 though, not just a pair for the driven wheels

and yes, i do consider myself able to "drive" and have used winter tyres, and done a couple of years rally driving (even doing well in championships ;)) but still accept that there are certain conditions where winter tyres would have been a big help :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts