Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody fitted there gqv with 18" winter tyres?

Never tried winter tyres before

The goodyears ultra grip and Dunlop winter sport 5 seem to have good reviews

Only interested in 18" winter tyres as going to fit on same rims on my gqv

any feedback?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Has anybody fitted there gqv with 18" winter tyres?

Never tried winter tyres before

The goodyears ultra grip and Dunlop winter sport 5 seem to have good reviews

Only interested in 18" winter tyres as going to fit on same rims on my gqv

any feedback?
I'm also considering 18" winter tyres - my car is leased through work and since the lease company wont cover cost under the terms I'll be buying them myself (atleast I should get 3 winters out of a set). I was thinking about something 'mid range' and was considering Toyo S953.

Again any feedback on other options would be appreciated

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
calculate the cost of 18" winter tyres with 6 times mounting and balancing, vs 17" wheels + tyres (or 16" if you don't have brembo brakes).

a spare wheel + tyre set is probably cheaper, and easier to sell later on....

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
calculate the cost of 18" winter tyres with 6 times mounting and balancing, vs 17" wheels + tyres (or 16" if you don't have brembo brakes).

a spare wheel + tyre set is probably cheaper, and easier to sell later on....
Yep done that! bought a set of old 17s & a set of new winter tyres for £100 for the wheels plus 280 for the tyres. These fit over the brembos & because they have more sidewall (so are more flexible) are a bit better in the ice/snow. Plus I am a little less worried about the salt/grit/ potholes knowing my proper alloys are hibernating & wont get damaged (unless my mother runs over them!!)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would rather keep my Gqv on the 18" 5 holes so although it might make some financial sense buying 17" rims, this is not for me.

Anybody got the winter tyres on the 18" rims then?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would rather keep my Gqv on the 18" 5 holes so although it might make some financial sense buying 17" rims, this is not for me.

I agree that a set of 17" wheels would make more sense but I have to keep within my employer and lease company rules / guidelines on changes that can be made to the car. I'm even keeping quiet about looking into changing the tyres!

·
Registered
276 Posts

I had 18" Turbines on my G Veloce, went for mid price tyre. Avon Ice Touring ST 225/40 R18 92V XL, ran these for two winters & it only snowed once In that period !!.

I had Goodyear F1 ASY'2 as my summer tyres, Avon's where slightly more noisy & firmer ride. Steering was more sharper & responsive. Good grip on wet & dry roads but on damp greasy roads the tyres had limited grip. The one day it did snow (compacted ice with dusting of snow over the top), grip was impressive pulling away & stopping. Every body else was was tip toeing down the road, I could still drive the car pretty much normal.

Ive sold my G for a Jeep Renegade 1.4MA, this time round I decided to go for all season tyres so that I can leave on all year round. Gone for Falken EURO ALL SEASON AS200.

Go for the best tyre you can afford, avoid cheap Korean / Chinese brands.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that feedback. I too have the Goodyear F1 asy2 tyres on. As my normal tyres so that's an interesting read.

Thanks for the feedback on the Avon :)

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have Pirelli Sottozero 3 in 18" on mine. As summer tires I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and I can say that in wet the Pirelli is much better. It is a bit loud when there is more than 10°C outside. At lower temperatures it is quite quiet. I also have very good experience with them in snow.
I don't know about the prices in UK, but when I was looking to maybe buy 17" wheels due to tire price difference I realized that if I buy them at right moment/place, the price difference is only about 10€ per tire, so it didn't make sense.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have a second set of 18" wheels (I think they're called 8C) for my QV - I just use the Turbines in the summer. They go on in November and stay there until April - so I didn't want to have 17" wheels spoiling the car's look for half of the year! As has been said, having a second set of wheels saves money in terms of fitting and you can do the change whenever is convenient.

Remember that winter tyres are not just for snow - anything below 7 deg C and they should be better than summer tyres. Obviously they probably aren't required if it doesn't get that cold very often but once you've got them it isn't really any more expensive than just having summer tyres - the wear gets shared between two sets of tyres. Having said that, I've found that the winter tyres can need replacing due to hardening with age rather than wear.

My last set of tyres were Vredestein which had the best rating when I got them. I've now got Michelin Alpin's and the initial impression is very good (only done 50 miles).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good feedback guys. I agree I dont want to spoil the looks with 17 inch wheels.

For those of you in the UK, is black circles the best place for winter tyres as someone mentioned to me that maybe they are not as competitive prices wise on winter tyres compared to their summer tyre prices

·
Registered
276 Posts
Also try MyTyres, I purchased my last three sets from them.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Brill. Will take a look and compare

You may find that your local independent tyre dealer can offer you a good deal. Definitely worth a call!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK GUYS.... had a second thought.. Nokian have a new new called weatherproof but its an all season tyre as opposed to winter. Having said that auto express tests have shown it to be exceptional in the snow and wet with the good year tyre coming second.

So I'm now thinking maybe of going with an all weather tyre and then changing to the summer tyre when its really warm

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Murphys law says buy the all season & we get a rough winter, buy the winter tyres and it'll be mild.....So if it were me I'd be going for the cheaper option.....

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I've got Michelin Alpin 5s on mine and they are brilliant! I swear they have more grip, even around 8-10 degrees, than the stock Dunlops. Far less squidgy than previous Vredestein Wintracs I've used. Can't recommend them highly enough. Ultimately, it's no more expensive. I'm on schedule for getting 2.5-3 years out of two sets of tyres at average mileage. Winters wear out very slowly and also stop the low grip surfaces from over wearing your summer tyres. My local tyre place only charge £40 to change all 4 with valves and balancing .

·
Registered
30,320 Posts
Thanks for feedback Ali.
Yes.
Michelin Alpin 5 only goes up to 17" though.

You need to go to the Michelin Pilot Alpin to get 18"

Shame the CrossClimate only goes to 17" too.

Edit...: you edited out the bit I was replying to while I was posting this!!

·
Registered
33 Posts

Yep. We have to fit winter tyres here in Germany. The Giulietta is my first Alfa. I fitted 18'' in October. We were in Bavaria at the weekend. The snow and ice were no problem. I say just go ahead.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts