Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of a sudden, there's a bit of rain and cold and suddenly my speedo doesn't want to join the party any more. Still counting the miles of course but no idea how quick we are covering them, well, except at the occasionally random moment when it forgets it is being truculent! Any clues? Is it a cable or electronic speedo?

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
A fiver says it is the teeny drive unit coming of the back of the engine (rh side as you stand looking in) mine did it and i fixed it with a second hand one from ebay for £10.....:cool:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
But it's still counting the miles though which suggests speedi drive is still working. Anyone with a spare instrument cluster he could swap it with to try it out?

If its the alternator then the rev counter goes with the speedo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi buddy, mine stopped working about 2 months back. Before buying anything, simply pull the 2 plugs located on top of the gearbox and silicon spray and clean. Plug back in, now I bet it works again. Mine hasnt gone wrong since. :thumbs: it will be the damp causing a problem with the connection.

PS my mileage counter still worked as well, just the speedo stopped operating ;).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As soon as we get some sunlight I am going to check this out. Thanks everyone, that's brilliant info. I really thought it had to be a connection somewhere, seemed to much of a coincidence, you know, bucket loads of rain and puddle splashing, suddenly bits stop working! I will report back and let you know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Please do MLSpider, I would be happy to hear that it is all working again for you :thumbs: Dont forget to do both the plugs will you.

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
I think its important to clarify that not all GTV/Spider 2.0 TS are the same. Early ones use a electronic sensor on the differential to measure the speed, the later car's speedos are driven from the ABS module, which has a sensor on each wheel. What the problem is & what the solution is will be different depending on which type of speedo-drive you have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts