Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Its starting to get cold again. My fuel cap is showing signs of going wonky again, and the rear demister not working when the battery is 'low' is starting to be an issue.

Anyone know if Alfa have fixed either of these since last year?

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't know about the fuel flap - I went through two on my first Giulia. However, I've had my Veloce for 4-and-a-bit weeks and Stop/Start is still working (the old car never lasted more than a couple of days), which means that the HRW will too. This was my one issue with the first car (and the reason I changed it before the warranty ran out), but I have my fingers crossed that it's been resolved.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Don't know about the fuel flap - I went through two on my first Giulia. However, I've had my Veloce for 4-and-a-bit weeks and Stop/Start is still working (the old car never lasted more than a couple of days), which means that the HRW will too. This was my one issue with the first car (and the reason I changed it before the warranty ran out), but I have my fingers crossed that it's been resolved.
There are two obvious potential explanations.

Perhaps AR have changed some software or the new Veloce has a better battery, either in respect its capacity or condition.

There can be no certainty yet whether the HRW & STOP/START problem is solved in new Giulias.

Andy

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There are two obvious potential explanations.

Perhaps AR have changed some software or the new Veloce has a better battery, either in respect its capacity or condition.

There can be no certainty yet whether the HRW & STOP/START problem is solved in new Giulias.

Andy
I noticed today that the hrw didn't seem to work on my first trip today and then the second drive out it did, is this a new issue?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So does the car not power up the HRW if the battery is low, I kind of get the Italian mentality, "whats behind you doesn't matter" but really?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So does the car not power up the HRW if the battery is low, I kind of get the Italian mentality, "whats behind you doesn't matter" but really?
Nope. If battery charge is below 80% (I think), S/S (who cares about that working) and HRW don't work. But in true Italian style heated seats and steering wheel still do. Go figure. I think we'd all class HRW as a necessity these days and a safety device but what do we know. Mine stopped working a few weeks ago and a trickle charge has sorted for now but who knows when it'll stop again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It really is ludicrous that the HRW is disabled, if the battery is below a certain level even when the engine is running. The alternator must be capable of powering the HRW and charging the battery even when idling, surely.

It is entirely logical for STOP/START to be disabled with a low battery and for the HRW also if the engine hasn't been started.

I'm rather hoping that the HRW problem has been solved by the software updates I had done this week. However, as I've only experienced the HRW problem a couple of times in 3 years, it may be a while before I can tell.

STOP/START is not an issue for me as I always disable it. These days with @epsonix's gadget.

Andy

Reactions: MattMatt1

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
HRW and S/S....pft.

Just read this story on a car reliability site.

A bloke went into the Alfa dealers to test drive a Giulia, it broke down on the test drive, they had to be recovered back to the garage.

You know what's coming don't you?

They took out another Giulia and that broke down and again had to be recovered.

The salesman, an obvious optimist, asked the bloke if he wanted to book another test drive. :lol:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
New BCM Software seems to sort the HRW Issue

I've just checked the operation of the HRW in my Quadrifoglio since I had the software updated last week.

With the engine stopped and the battery charge reported as 70% by MES, operating the HRW switch had no effect, ie the light in the switch didn't come on and the HRW wasn't energised.

Starting the engine and trying again, things worked normally as you'd hope.

There has to be a health warning, my standard practice has always been start the engine before switching on the HRW and I've not noticed more than a couple of HRW failures in 3 years. So it's always possible that the software hasn't changed and others' problems might just have been down to operator error. I doubt if that is the case, but it can't be excluded.

I believe it's the BCM which controls the HRW. My BCM software is now version 0718. I've no idea whether the other Giulia models use the same version.

If AR were well organised, you'd expect there to be a service bulletin saying update the BCM software if a customer complains about his HRW not working.

Andy

·
Registered
521 Posts
My Veloce is year old next Wednesday.

The fuel flap was an issue on my Speciale, however, not on this Veloce.

S/S is random and to be honest I'm not bothered, up to now the HRW has always worked when switched on, fingers crossed it stays this way.

I used to have HRW issues on my Speciale, but bizarrely the heated seats and steering wheel always came on!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to have HRW issues on my Speciale, but bizarrely the heated seats and steering wheel always came on!!
Presumably, if you have electric seats the heating and positioning is on the same supply, so they can't disable the heating without killing the position too, which could prevent the car from being (safely) driven at all.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Really weird we went on a 300mile ride to heathrow and back and stop start never kicked in. Tonight with heated seats and steering wheel on, full headlights on etc the stop start works after a day on the drive? What is going on? It's actually not that nice in an automatic car. Does it roll backwards on a hill, not been there yet between a stop start event?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Really weird we went on a 300mile ride to heathrow and back and stop start never kicked in. Tonight with heated seats and steering wheel on, full headlights on etc the stop start works after a day on the drive? What is going on? It's actually not that nice in an automatic car. Does it roll backwards on a hill, not been there yet between a stop start event?
There's an automatic hill hold, but you may have to switch it on in settings.

Stop Start also decides whether to operate on more parameters than just charge level.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I am one of many who dislike STOP/START on the Giulia intensely, to a large extent because it has an auto box, and will always disable it.

There are many threads on the subject.

Andy

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There's an automatic hill hold, but you may have to switch it on in settings.

Stop Start also decides whether to operate on more parameters than just charge level.
Can you give me an idea which menu that would be in? I managed to turn off the internal lighting at opening and closing and it took me 1/2 an hour to find the right roof switch to re-enable it.

·
Premium Member
7,523 Posts
Can you give me an idea which menu that would be in? I managed to turn off the internal lighting at opening and closing and it took me 1/2 an hour to find the right roof switch to re-enable it.
afaik, you can't switch it on/off, it's always active. See :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My Guilietta manual gearbox manual says about the same thing dependant on engine torque about hill holder. In the Giulia I find the engine stopping on the brake pedal and then starting when you release it to be a bit odd. I would really like to press the brake, get S/S, put the handbrake on and then engine restarts when you push the throttle to pull away. My car restarts when your foot comes off the brake even if the handbrake is on. Admittedly its a 2017 car so new cars may do what I describe? Do all automatic drivers never use the hand brake? Different mindset probably based on my age but I like to go back to the handbrake as a very long in the tooth(35 years of manual driving), the Giulia is my first Auto box car ever and I don't like sitting with the brake lights on for minutes at a time. Before you ask I was drawn to an auto box because I was after a car that won't need a clutch change every so often. If I'm doing anything wrong please let me know, otherwise I might need to also get the stopstart removal device. Its just surprising when it does kick in on the car, I get a manual car relying on the clutch/gearbox position, this can be a couple of minutes, but in the auto box relying on brake pedal inputs, it hardly seems worth it without the transition to a handbraked hold being considered? Again maybe I'm missing the point because I've had manual cars for so long? I'm not complaining the driving experience is amazing, just seems strange when the engine is only stopped for a couple of seconds at a junction.

·
Registered
35,752 Posts
There’s the “P” button on the top of the gear selector.
Then you pull the right hand paddle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts