Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The last week while the weather has been 0C or less I've noticed my heaters are not blowing as hot as they used to.

Usually after 10mins of driving and setting the climate control to 22C the fans kick in and blow very hot until the car is warm but now it's just warm even after an hour of driving.

The engine gets varies between 55C and 90C during the journey but even at 90C the heater air is still not hot.

Anyone else notice this, a guy at work with an old Saab said he has a mechansim which blocks off the grills.

Thinking this could be the reverse of my summer problem in which hot air would come into the car unless I closed the vents or pressed re-circulation button. Hence air from engine baying warming/cooling the cabin.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The engine temp should never vary. Once at 90 degrees, at 90 it stays. If it ever goes back down then you need a new thermostat.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, it's been like that for as long as I can remember (1 year). I always thought it made sense, as I drive faster the air through the grils would cool it down but driving in traffic the reduced airflow would keep it at 90. If it tried to go above 90 then the fans should bring it down.

I'll search the forum for replacement instructions, cheers.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe the heater valve is stuck.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Maybe the heater valve is stuck.
This is possible, or it could be a blockage - a good coolant flush should sort it if so. I remember the days when my dad used to attach a pressure washer to the old Range Rover heater matrix every couple of months to flush it through.

If your engine is getting warm but your heaters aren't, then there's no warmth in the heater matrix.
If your engine temperature fluctuates as you change speed then your thermostat is knackered. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Where is the best place to buy a good quality thermostat? I might change mine again, even though i only did it 6 months ago! and does anyone know if there is a bleed valve for the water system, or is there a best practise guide for replacing the coolant?

Regards
Gareth

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I believe the bleed method is to leave the engine running with the expansion cap off and the heaters on full. The air will work it's way out as the expansion tank is the highest point in the cooling system.
It doesn't harm to give the engine a few blips and the top radiator hose a squeeze every so often during this process to get any trapped air out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts