Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I’m looking to understand the best set up for winter guys?
I think I’ll take the Corsa’s off never to be refitted (so if anyone fancies them let me know and we’ll do a deal).
What is the narrowest tyre I can fit on the rear, 265 maybe? Should I just fit the same size (but winters) on the front?
Thoughts and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
803 Posts
Narrower tyres for winter is for deep snow and mud. With modern winter tyre which basically cold wet tyre that can handle mild snow more thread = more grip. Just go with AR homologated.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,184 Posts
I fit Michelin Alpins to mine each winter, although didn’t bother last year with Covid.
Likewise, mine will go on before the end of October

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I also ordered Michelins PA4 today, but winter tyres are mandatory here from 15th November. Not much choice for Quad though, and PA4 is already a very old model, almost 10 years.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I've just spoken to my local tyre dealer who have had my set of Alpins for the Quadrifoglio in store for 18months.
Bad news is that the rears are down to 3mm which for me is the limit on a performance car, certainly for winters. Fronts are OK.

I really should have checked the winters' tread depth before I put them in storage

Then he tells me the Alpins are out of stock in UK and on backorder with no availability date known.

So I have a full set of Sottozeroes on order for fitment next week. I'm not willing to drive with Michelins front and Pirellis rear.

I'll report what the remaining tread depth on the front Alpins is when I can. They might be of use to someone.

An expensive lesson learnt.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Wow, you're quick... I'm in Poland and plan to do the swap end of November/beginning of December... Still +7 in the morning and +15 during the day...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
It is unseasonably warm here at the moment, but a few days recently when the temperature was down to under 10C, I was aware the Goodyears weren't working well.

Also I was in Italy last week and some Northern parts of that country require winters from mid October.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I hate driving on winters, so try to postpone the change for as long as I can. When it's not snowing, there's no rush :).

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I really don't agree. Summers behave badly as soon as the temperature gets below 7C irrespective of rain or snow being present.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
No, dry braking is basically better on summer tyres regardless of the temperature and braking is rather lousy on winters in general - to the point where all-season are the suggested winter tyre for the UK:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Andy, I got Michelins PA4 yesterday, rears were indeed very hard to get. It seems 285/30ZR19 production is either extremely low or not happening at all. Fronts have a build date of 2021, but rears are 2019, and they seem to be out of stock almost everywhere. You can find them in some EU based online shops (Michelin code for the rears is 695309), but you would probably have to pay import charges to get them to the UK.

I really wanted the PA4 due to the W index for max speed. Pirellis are marked with V, so that's "only" up to 240 km/h (150 mph), not enough for the Quad in my opinion. However, the rears I got seem not to be round; they were probably not stored correctly. I took them to the local tyre fitter today for inspection and they said it will be ok once the tyres are fitted to the wheels. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
No, dry braking is basically better on summer tyres regardless of the temperature and braking is rather lousy on winters in general - to the point where all-season are the suggested winter tyre for the UK:
My reading of that article is not the same as yours. It confirms, to my mind, that below 7C one should not be using summers.

As far as all-season tyres being best for UK conditions, I agree, but no all season tyres exist which I'd be prepared to use on my Quadrifoglio.

I would probably survive on summers year round in UK on the Quadrifoglio, using my other car on bad days, if it weren't for the facts that I drive to the Alps twice a winter where winter tyres are a legal requirement and I would have got stuck a couple of time if I hadn't had the Alpins fitted.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I really wanted the PA4 due to the W index for max speed. Pirellis are marked with V, so that's "only" up to 240 km/h (150 mph), not enough for the Quad in my opinion.
Noted, but does one really need tyres rated for >150mph in winter? The speed rating is really related sustained speeds. How often have I taken my Quadrifoglio over 150mph and for how long? A very few short bursts in summer and never in winter.
I do recognise that the W rated tyre is probably a better tyre than a V rating on a performance car even if you have no intention of exceeding 150mph, but that isn't important to me.
Finally, I'd observe the Sottozeroes are homologated for the Quadrifoglio. I probably would have opted for the Sottozeroes when I first bought winter tyres for the Quadrifoglio but they weren't then available in UK.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
My reading of that article is not the same as yours. It confirms, to my mind, that below 7C one should not be using summers.

As far as all-season tyres being best for UK conditions, I agree, but no all season tyres exist which I'd be prepared to use on my Quadrifoglio.

I would probably survive on summers year round in UK on the Quadrifoglio, using my other car on bad days, if it weren't for the facts that I drive to the Alps twice a winter where winter tyres are a legal requirement and I would have got stuck a couple of time if I hadn't had the Alpins fitted.
Of course, winters are a must for me. I just try to have them on as short as I can. With a RWD car I'll probably change quicker than I would if I'd be still driving the Giulietta :). Probably end of October.

Wysłane z mojego Pixel 4a przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Noted, but does one really need tyres rated for >150mph in winter? The speed rating is really related sustained speeds. How often have I taken my Quadrifoglio over 150mph and for how long? A very few short bursts in summer and never in winter.
I do recognise that the W rated tyre is probably a better tyre than a V rating on a performance car even if you have no intention of exceeding 150mph, but that isn't important to me.
Finally, I'd observe the Sottozeroes are homologated for the Quadrifoglio. I probably would have opted for the Sottozeroes when I first bought winter tyres for the Quadrifoglio but they weren't then available in UK.
I agree about V vs W rating. However I would like a piece of mind if it happens that I drive above 150mph. And PA4 appears to be a better tyre than Sottozero II, homologated for Quad or not. P Zeros are homologated as well, and we all know that Michelin 4S and GY SuperSport do a better job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going to see how I get on with a set of Goodyear Supersports over winter. The Corsas are coming off straight away when I pick the car up next week.

Previously had a separate set of winter wheels on my 4 series, but I'd bet they're significantly cheaper than another set for the Quadrifoglio!

·
Registered
2021 Giulia QF Misano Blue
32 Posts
Is it worth paying the extra for AR marked Sottozeroes over the regular ones?
I’ll be going straight to winters, off the back of driving 4wd as dailies for 9 years, need that extra security for the first few months of ownership. Haven’t driven RWD since I sold my TVR Cerbera about 5 years ago, and that was like Bambi on ice on anything but warm and dry roads, on regular Goodyear F1s.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Good question, but I guess it depends what were Alfa's requierments from Pirelli to make them. If someone has that info it would make a decision easier. Requierments can be about wear, fuel consumption, but also about performance on various surfaces, speed rating,... So it is really hard to say.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts