Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the news is anything to go by were on for a bad winter. Any recommendations on winter tyres for the 19" alloys?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Pirelli SottoZero Serie II all the way.
That's what I have and It's pretty much the only choice for 19" winter tires for 159/Brera. You could go for Dunlops or Blizzaks but they're designed for heavy snow opposed to the SottoZeros are made for light snow/dry icy roads.
They're not the best performers in the snow, but from all the winter tires I had (and that's a loooong list) they're the best overall. On dry roads they handle just as good if not better than the summer tires which I think is far more important because most of the winter driving isn't done in the snow but rather on dry frozen/icy tarmac.
Anyway, I live in a place where the winters longer and way harsher than what you have over then and I recommend the Pirellis over anything else with a more aggressive snow profile.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks toshy just the info I was after. As mines only front wheel drive would you think its ok just to put them on the front?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'm scared to even try and find a price!

Might be cheaper to get smaller wheels for the winter. Although I'm not keen on that idea...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Mixing winter and summer tires is worse than having summer tires on all four wheels. The car becomes unpredictable and you can start spinning because if the rear tires lose grip it's like pulling the handbrake.
Indeed a set of 19" winter tires is quite expensive (I think it was about 1000 euro when I got mine) but for the same price you can get a set of 17" wheels with winter tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
19" winter tyres

Hi

This is something I've been wondering about for a while, and I guess this forum is as good a place as any to discuss it.

I've been thinking about winter tyres for my S, but the prices for a full set are mental (over £1200 for a set of Pirelli Sotto's) but then I saw an auction for one pair of very lightly used Pirelli's on ebay, and so I snapped them up.

I'm not entirely convinced by the idea that running in this mixed mode is a terrible idea. If the roads are icy, then loosing the rear with any kind of tyre is going to be very difficult to counter. Having the winter tyres on the front will improve traction, braking, and general grip in all conditions under 7 degrees - but you've always got to give due consideration to the rear.

In the same way as driving along with snow socks on the front only is perfectly do-able and common place.

What do people think?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
all advanced driving instructions will advise to always have your grippiest tyres on the rear, regardless of the car being fwd, rwd, 4wd

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Is not winter tyres on nice 19" alloys a kind of contradiction in terms? You need some nice scuffed scratchy wheels for your winter tyres ... then you can use the kerbs for hill climbing and stopping etc. too:)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Is not winter tyres on nice 19" alloys a kind of contradiction in terms? You need some nice scuffed scratchy wheels for your winter tyres ... then you can use the kerbs for hill climbing and stopping etc. too:)
That is a very good point.

But the thought of seeing my car on 17" wheels for a quarter of the year makes me shudder!

(and yes, I know that is stupid.)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've been driving with 19" winter alloys for the past two years on roads much worse than what you have in UK and I managed not to scratch them at all. They look just as new, I can post pictures to prove that :)

Hi

I'm not entirely convinced by the idea that running in this mixed mode is a terrible idea. If the roads are icy, then loosing the rear with any kind of tyre is going to be very difficult to counter. Having the winter tyres on the front will improve traction, braking, and general grip in all conditions under 7 degrees - but you've always got to give due consideration to the rear.

In the same way as driving along with snow socks on the front only is perfectly do-able and common place.

What do people think?
It's all down to what risks are you willing to take. Of course you can just as well have winter tires only on one axle, but the human factor comes in. You get used with the traction provided by the winter tires but when it comes to braking or cornering you misjudge the grip your car has and the weakest link will be the summer tires on the other axle and that will make your car slide and spin in an uncontrollable and unpredictable manner :) (that's the worse case scenario).

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had winter tyres on just fronts last year. Alfa 156 2.4 JTD SW - no problems whatsoever but this is because I drove very carefully. If you drive like it's summer on the snow and ice you're asking for trouble no matter how many winter tyres you have.

I'm just looking to never getting stuck. I would never drive like the snow wasn't there, just because I have winter tyres on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Bezste

That's exactly the impression I got, the likelyhood of the rear overtaking the front in conditions where it's simply cold (no snow or ice) is in my view, exceptionally unlikely.

In the event that I'm driving on snow or ice, it's likely I'll be going very very slowly and carefully. The youtube video's I've seen are very informative and excellently put together, but they're essentially people trying to drive quickly on snow, or slamming on the brakes from speed, to demonstrate what *can* happen.

*also, please don't get me started on the *recommendation* that you put your best tyres on the rear of a front wheel drive car, I remember when this advice came out a few years ago and has been completely and utterly ignore by virtually everyone in in the industry - the rationale was that it's harder to control the loss of grip to the rear wheels - (which although technicall correct, does not take into account the LIKELYHOOD of losing rear grip, compared to the likelyhood of losing front grip) I have never ever experienced the loss of rear grip in a front wheel drive car. Rant over.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts