Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what I got in my Christmas stocking....well I'm up to page 146 already and I have to say that its a story of considerble achievement, but also of great sadness

In calling the book "Winning is not enough" he observes...."I have believed that real, lasting success is defined not only by the the accumulation of winning, but also by the manner of victory. It's not enough simply to win. It is considerably more profound if success is achieved with integrity and care."

I can recommend it as a damned good read.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
662 Posts
jackie stewart is a legend, seen him speaking at goodwood one year and then walking about in the crowd, came across as a proper sports hero and an absolute gentleman

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He makes an interesting comment comparing his career to that of Lewis Hamilton.

He says that by the time LH lined up for his FIRST G.P. LH had experienced more race starts and first corner fights than He had done in his entire racing career.

Food for thought

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
In calling the book "Winning is not enough" he observes...."I have believed that real, lasting success is defined not only by the the accumulation of winning, but also by the manner of victory. It's not enough simply to win. It is considerably more profound if success is achieved with integrity and care."
Do you think he's having a dig at Michael Schumacher?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its fair to say he had Schumacher in mind, but he was not the only one by a long chalk. He was full of praise for Fangio and Moss...and only once did Jim Clark refuse to give him advice on how to take the first couple of corners in a race.

In his day the F1 drivers were a family, and I think he rues the loss of this camaraderie and true friendship that existed on and off the track.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
912 Posts
If he was having a dig at Schumacher then he'd need to take Senna and Prost into that equation? F1 ceased to be a gentleman's sport by the 80s.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I can recommend is that you read the book and make up your own mind. The comment wasn't meant as an attack on other drivers, but more a statement of his own philosophy. He does a lot more praising others than anything else as it happens.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Unfortunately F1 has gone from a 'Hobby' sport where someone like Jack Brabham could own, build and drive his car to a world championship, to a full blown Advertising driven 'super sport' where winning is the only game in town .

'Winning is not enough' is a book about "The Dreamtime', something that will never be again!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I think its a lot more than that as he stopped racing in 1973, so its far from just being about racing. Its about his approach to life, dealing with people, trusting (or not trusting... as in his dealings with Ferrari...) How to be thorough and prepared and so on and so forth, all things which are just as valid today as they ever were.

If I have a criticism I'd say his approach to life appears a bit homespun...but I wish I'd done a tenth as well as him.

JYS has done well for a boy branded as 'stupid' at school, and whose dyslexia was not diagnosed until he was 41. I think there is a lot we can all learn from him.

Ken Tyrrell blamed the cost of the turbo engines for killing off the private teams mainly. I think he was right.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Ken Tyrrell blamed the cost of the turbo engines for killing off the private teams mainly. I think he was right.

AlfaLincs
Yes, I agree witht he much missed Ken.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am still waiting for my dad to finish reading this, a good read from what he has said so far.
Was saying the other day that there were 60 or so drivers killed in 5 or 6 years during Stewarts time. Quite a different era altogether.

On the other hand I just read Hamiltons book, interesting read but it doesn't give to much away about anything. More of a diary of his first season

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Was saying the other day that there were 60 or so drivers killed in 5 or 6 years during Stewarts time"

Yup..it was running at one top driver a month at one stage. It really was appalling, and hard to credit, there were plenty of people in the sport who didn't give a toss, and actively campaigned against safety measures.

AlfaLincs

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there were plenty of people in the sport who didn't give a toss, and actively campaigned against safety measures.
But some of that emotion is still around today, witness several top drivers (in and out of F1) who initially refused to use the HANS device.

Coulthard was one of the loudest voices against the idea (because he found it uncomfortable)
The legendary 'Intimidator' Dale Earnhardt called it 'The Noose' and refused to wear it, ironically had he been using HANS at Daytona in2001, he may well still have been alive today :( :( :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Likely to have saved Robert Kubicas' life also with his crash at the Canadian GP. Cant see him having survived without the Hans device being subjected to a peak G-force of 75 G (average deceleration of 28G)
Should get to start reading the book tomorrow

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts