Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the car at 5.45am to go to work and found the drivers side wing mirror hanging off.

The metal circular bit inside is completely sheared. It's a gonner.

For the past 6 years that I've lived here, one time a year, at least, I've had to pull up drunk students late at night who have broken other cars' wing mirrors on the street and said "do you know how much that costs?"

Now it's happened to me. I'm quite cross.

My '99 phase 2 is velo blue.

Now I have to ask you guys... "do you know how much that costs?" and where's the best place to find?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
sorry to hear that fella ....no idea how much it costs either :eek: ... my mrs KA has just been put on the back of a tow truck this afternoon..... both mirrors hanging by the wires and both windscreen wipers snapped clean off :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
mine was £30 i think from an on line breakers but it was 5 yrs ago so i can't remember who

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same couple of weeks ago. Found them on ebay cheapest £80!!! Plus you have to buy the paint etc. So your looking at over a tonne! I then went on ebay to purchase one and got lucky. Someone scrapping a GTV in black so got it for £36. Just keep looking mate. One the same colour will turn up eventualy. In the mean time, invest in some gaffer tape :) By the way, if I ever catch who a) ripped my wing mirror off and b) put a scratch down the side of my baby you will no longer hear from me as I'll be doing a long stretch at her majesty's pleasure!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Every car I have owned in last 15 years has attracted a significant envy scratch - that's why I bought an older car. Problem is, fell for the Spider like my first childhood sweetheart and when she gets hurt I see the red mist too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Picked up a replacement mirror for mine for £25 from ebay, just need to paint it blue now! Current one has had something similar done to it before I got the car but a load of duct tape is holding it together fine at the moment.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Picked up a replacement mirror for mine for £25 from ebay, just need to paint it blue now! Current one has had something similar done to it before I got the car but a load of duct tape is holding it together fine at the moment.
Hi Dave,

If you are looking for an aerosol paint to spray the mirror with then these guys do custom cans. Just fill in the online form with the car make, model and paint code and within a few days you'll receive your 400ml aerosol can. I've used them and the colour match is spot on. The job with my wing mirrors came out great. So good that I decided to buy a couple more cans and respray the rear bumper as it had some deep scratches. Just finished it 3 weeks ago and that came out great too. Impressed myself and friends. After being quoted £250 to do both wing mirrors and bumper I did it myself for £6.99 x 3 = £20.97 (custom aerosol paints 400ml), 6.95 x 3 = £20.85 (500ML PROXL LACQUER), £4.95 (500ml FLEXI PRIMER) Total £46.77 a few mor pounds on top that for 600, 1200, 1500, 2000 Grit Wet and dry Sand Paper. I still have paint, Laquer and Primer left over!

Company is Car Paint from AutoPaint St Helens Select Aerosol from Right menu then mixed aerosol from main window, then 400ML MIXED AEROSOL [any colour] and fill in form.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks, I got a full kit from here Choose Car paints from the UKs biggest online colour database £23.99 inc post for paint, primer, lacquer, wet and dry and rubbing compound. They seem to have a few happy customers on here so seems a good deal. Just waiting for it to show up in post then can paint the mirror. Once that is done time to take the door to bits to fit the mirror and tweak the window height.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good luck putting the door card back and and making sure the doors work. A tip, Two people will make putting the card on a lot easier and quicker.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks, best place to work on it is up at my parents place so I'm sure dad will give me a hand. Need to take both doors apart now as the kids have found the passenger inside door handle doesn't work so guess something has come disconnected

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Have a look on eBay as Alfa-916 are listing a blue one they are breaking. They may have the side you need.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I think I've got a Vela blue mirror....give me a call on 07976 384980 if I can help. I can certainly sympathise - went out to my Transit recovery truck this morning to find that 5 of the six tyres were flat...four of them having been knifed.........I wasn't a happy bunny.......

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think I've got a Vela blue mirror....give me a call on 07976 384980 if I can help. I can certainly sympathise - went out to my Transit recovery truck this morning to find that 5 of the six tyres were flat...four of them having been knifed.........I wasn't a happy bunny.......
What's wrong with folk these days. They obviously see someone driving a nice car and think that most of us have money squirting out our ar..s. Most of us work and save up for our cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
some scrote has nerfed mine off this morning, very annoying, I feel almost blind without it in traffic and parking :mad:

worst thing is, it's Nuvola Blue, so it's very unlikely i'll find a cheap replacement with a breaker, and no matter how good a paint match is done on a new/repainted one it'll still not match the rest of the car.
I guess that's not so bad owing to the fact I'll need to get the whole car resprayed in 5 or so years (stone chips etc which can't be patched up due to the colour) but still, it's a pain in the ****

As if i wasn't spending enough money on the car due to the councils crap roads ruining the suspension i've got the morons that live here to deal with too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts