Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reccomended way of removing a damaged mirror glass from the wing mirror housing, or is it a case of just trying to avoid cutting yourself as you lever the glued glass away and it breaks in your hand?

T

·
0 Posts
The 147 one just pops off if you apply even pressure around the edges. Symptomatic of the cheapy, economy, tacky, build quality. Yours is probably the same.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually was quite a struggle in the end...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Sorry this is a little late, but I've recently had to replace the glass on our 156, and I used a large flat-blade screwed driver to lever it out.

New ones can be bought from www.shop4parts.co.uk for around £15 inc. postage. But you've probably already done that!! :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've been reading old threads in Help regarding 156 wing mirror glass.

Mine got clouted the other week and the glass popped out. It doesn't look to me as if anything is broken, I gather the glass is simply glued on, is this right? It is intact and still attached to the electrical gubbins. I was thinking of re-gluing it back in position, maybe using some small say matchbox-sized blocks of wood or something placed on the glass to enable tape to be clamped around mirror and glass whist the glue goes off.

Anyone done this? What kind of glue did you use, Araldite or similar? Is it worth trying to remove any dried old glue first? Anything else to be aware of?

Ta.

·
Premium Member
7,525 Posts
I think it's just glued on using double-sided tape.....
I wouldn't use real glue, as you can forget about ever getting it off in that case if it ever gets damaged (or the heater doesn't work anymore) in the future....

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
When new they come in one piece with the mounting, like this

I suppose there's no reason you couldn't glue it back on.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well I tried double-sided tape, and it seemed to work like a charm! At any rate, it seems firm enough, and I did a 300 mile round trip at the weekend. Job jobbed for £2.99!

Thanks for the tip. :thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts