Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I fitted the 156 wiper arm conversion from the online shop. No rattling, squeaking, juddering or other annoying OE symptoms. The wiper blades are both 20" (I think one of the originals is 21"). The arms don't hit the bonnet either. As I've said before, my actual wiper mechanism is a bit worn, which means the OE wipers would hit the rubber at the bottom of the screen and then the drivers arm would fly off the side of the windscreen, especially at speed. The shorter blades do not do this !!!!!!
Overall, I'm extremely happy and the conversion has cured more problems than I thought it would.
Can't wait for it to rain wink wink wink

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Marlon,
I must have missed your previous posts on windscreen wipers. Did you put 156 wipers on to fix the overreaching problem you described? I take it that the 156 wipers are the a better design?
I've tried buying replacement blades and have been told I need whole new arms at like 6 times the cost of blades!!! I don't want to sound sexist but I will go back to the dealer later when there is a male on the counter when hopefully I'll get the right info.
Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chicks, eh!

If you have a Bosch arm you can buy regular replacement arms, blades or whatever at Halfords.

If your arm is the square section jobbie, you have to buy the arm at your Alfa Romeo dealer, as there's no after market replacement.

However, if it's just the rubber blades you want, then you can get those at Halfords OR at the dealer.

When one of the joints on my wiper arm broke I had to order a replacement arm from my dealer. They accidentally (!!!) ordered me just the blades before they finally got the whole arm assembly (which includes blades) but it shows that you CAN get them separately.

Go to the "Big H" for your blades dude.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What marlon is referring to is the 156 kit as sold on the alfaowner.com shop.

This basically the 156 arms and blades, when these blades wear out you just buy the blades.. like normal cars :rolleyes: as opposed to buying the whole arm assemble everytime you need to change wipers.

The replacement kit costs about 50 quid ish...

I tried the halfords thing before... just buying the blade rubber and replacing that on blade assembly... slightly differant sizing on the rubber for the metal slides which made it over all wider than the track it fits onto (on the arm). If you forced it in there was no movement/give on the rubber and juddered to buggery. i ended up throwing them away and using the knackered ones again...

I'm now just awaitng delivery of my conversion kit.

remember... available from the shop on Alfaowner.com (plug) (plug)

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys

Presume the 156 conversion uses arms that are a different design to the 155? Is that right, never paid much attention to the 156 arms!

This would alter the "unique" look of the 155, hhmmm, not sure about that :confused:

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say that the 156 arms are not as sexy and sporty looking as the original 155 chunky things. The 156 arms are bent at different places which seems to compensate for the smaller blades. I do notice a slight difference in the amount of screen cleared, but it doesn't hinder visability.

I didn't fit the kit to cure the over-reaching problem, but due to the design of the arms, it has cured it :)
The wipers don't even stick/hesitate/rattle on intermediate wipe. I think the OE wiper arms must put some undue stress/strain on the motor or mechanism. I know my wiper motor was replaced with a brand new unit less than 6 months ago.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy the way, any body want to buy a set of Original Chunky Alfa Wiper Arms (drivers side 6 weeks old) wink wink wink wink

hee...hee...hee.....I'm so funny.....

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have recently taken delivery and fitted the windscreen wiper conversion from the Alfaowner.com shop and agree with you Marlon,they do make a hell of a difference. :D

Have also added Rain X as recommended by Henry so at least i don't have to start swearing now when it rains!!

Regards
Ian H :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to let you know,

Mangoletsi fitted new blades for me [on my original 'chunky' arms] for £7. So they do exist as mentioned above.

regards Raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't understand why some dealers try to flog a new arm- the blades are there on the parts CD as plain as day, they're not even hidden in one of the subgroups. For info the part number for 16v blades is 5901369 (pair), my local dealer had no trouble supplying them- in fact I think they were from stock.

Simon

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've never had any problems buying just the blades from Alfa. They are dead easy to change on the arm too.

Thinking about making a simgle wiper conversion now I have 2 wiper motors, arms (cars for that matter!!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Instead of shelling out £50 for a 156 wiper conversion has anyone treid going to the scrappers and getting a set off a Fiat, im sure they must fit!
I had a problem with a juddering chunky wiper on the drivers side so as tempory measure i swapped the wipers over........no juddering now on either side!. I also got a set of replacement blades from my local motor factors at the princly sum of 76p each! they work a treat.

Cheers Stef.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I change my rubbers on my original wipers to cure poor performance and juddering. They juddered even worse but cleaned better!. Trouble was they were also taking the paint off the bonnet so I went for the cheap option as mentioned before. Volvo 440 arms from the scrapyard for £3 the pair. Treated them to 2 new blade assemblies from the motor factors for £10 the pair. (think I fitted 1 21" & 1 20"). No more judders & no more chunks out the bonnet. :p

Mike

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've bought new rubbers from a dealer before now, about £8, no problem. I didn't remove the arms to fit the rubbers either, as detailed in the instructions...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts