Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My 147 had a mad moment a few months back - the front windscreen wipers wouldn't turn on at all. After 10 mins or so they resumed normal function and all was well.

Last week both front and rear windscreen wipers stopped working and have yet to work again. Fuses checked and all are intact. RAC man came out today and couldn't find a fault with the fuses either. He thinks it is the "module" and that I need to take it to a main dealer to get it fixed. Apparently the little hiccup it had a few months ago was a precursor to the "module" failing.

So.. anyone know what this "module" is and, more importantly, how to fix it as cheaply as possible?

Also wondered whether it would have anything to do with not having any screenwash for a week. When filled it still wouldn't come out and now RAC man has found a nice big hole in the tube that takes it from the screenwash reservoir to the things that squirt it out.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - it won't stop raining and I need to get out of the house!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
On the 156's, the modules on top of the wiper motor, and is quite prone to failing. Mine only work on double-speed, and don't park.

I've got one to swap it with, but haven't got around to it yet...

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Mines the same IainFM.. However, if I set-up the hose pipe onto my windscreen, and leave my wipers going for a good hour or so (long journey in the rain also works), then afterwards the wipers resume normal function for a few weeks, before reverting to your symptoms. This is what I did for the MOT :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. Was wondering whether it could be anything to do with the hose that delivers the screenwash. It had a massive hole in it and seems to have been leaking all over the engine etc. Theres mould on the inside of the bonnet right where the windscreen wipers go behind that plastic facia. Could this have something to do with it??

Tried to get that plastic facia off by unscrewing it and the wipers but one of the wipers is rusted on.. WD40?

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
WD40 for rust, let it work its way in, then if it still isn't working tap the nut with a hammer as you are applying torque.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Mines the same IainFM.. However, if I set-up the hose pipe onto my windscreen, and leave my wipers going for a good hour or so (long journey in the rain also works), then afterwards the wipers resume normal function for a few weeks, before reverting to your symptoms. This is what I did for the MOT :lol:
Haven't tried that! I've had the module's circuit board off, resoldered just about every connection, and checked all the components that I can. I suspect one of the 2 transistors on it is goosed though....

Bloody wife keeps driving it to work so I can't get it swapped over :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am investigating.. No power going to the wipers (husbands checked with a multimeter thingamy).. does this mean its the motor or something else?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me again.
The wipers had a resurrection for a brief minute or so and then died again... Husband says that theres no power going up the cable to the wipers. Any suggestions.. (sorry if I'm boring you all!):)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I found a wiring diagram somewhere and used it to determine that power was getting to the 6-way(?) connector block that plugs into the wiper motor.

Do you know how he tested the power? If he did the same, and there's no juice there, it could be the steering column switch.

I've just changed my wiper motor assembly (had a spare one) and now my wipers are working fine....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello. He found that no power was going into that 6-way thing by using a multimeter and nothing was happening. However the wipers have come on and off a rare intervals since.. Where is the steering column switch and how do you replace? Expensive?? (Gulp..)

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
As much as it seems like the steering column switch, it probably isn't. Its probably the wiper motor/assembly (this is one part). Its a common problem and commonly causes the problems both you, I and IainFM are having..

I would say to change the wiper motor/assembly before trying anything else. I just haven't got round to doing mine yet, plus I'm skint. But once I have the money for it, I'm going to do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pud, thought you might say that. Unfortunately i can't afford it either - and no one I know is very mechanically minded. Damn it! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
If you can get hold of a complete motor assembly, it's quite easy (well, it was on the 156):

Remove wipers (13mm nut under the plastic cap)
Remove scuttle panels (screws and clips)
Lift motor 'sock'/cover
Disconnect 6-way(?) plug from motor.
Undo 3 allen-key bolts holding the wiper linkage on.

Refitting is reverse of removal. Make sure the wipers are parked before fitting the arms ;)

If I can summon up the enthusiasm, I'm going to dismantle the old control module and see if I can figure out which component has failed. I suspect it's one of the 2 transistors on the board...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alfa Romeo

Hi, I have a Alfasud Velove 1.5 1981 and I have the same problem. I have removed the control module, and it is lying in fron of me. I have decided to design a small circuit that can completely repace the old one, but will fit snugly into the box. My problem is just figuring out what the 7 pins are for. It is labeled on the module itself, but I dont get it

It lables the pins: S , + , 31b , 1 , 31 , 15 and 2 and the only one I know is the + :)

Maybe someone can help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Problem wipers. possible fix?

I had the same problem with the wipers not working on my 156, checked the fuse etc & traced back to the motor.

The motor is covered with a plastic bag & on removal I found it had perished allowing water to ingress to the motor housing (damp & rust around casing & inside the bag) a little tap with an hammer & off they went again.

I gave the motor a good blast of WD40 inside & out, replaced the bag & touch wood all ok.

Hope this helps...
Lee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts