Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having just driven in the rain for the first time last night, I've noticed that the drivers side wiper is almost useless. It clears everything except the bit I'm looking through!

It looks like the design of the blade is pushing down too much at the edges, lifting up the centre of the blade. The blades are almost new. Is this a common problem? Any ideas?

I've found some references in the archives to slow or juddery wipers. Mine are smooth and fast - they just don't clear.

Thanks

Robert

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mine did this too. I solved it by "bending" the ends back against themselves to release the pressure at the ends and therefore allow the middle section to clear the screen. I still get a bit of patchy clearing when the rain is very light.
I also use RainX whic helps loads. In fact I very rarely need to use the wipers now.

Marlon

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I've also noticed that the arms are carving up the paint on the bonnet (tip of passenger wiper, and base of driver touch).

Any solutions? WHy does this happen? Is the bonnet misaligned, are the arms incorrect?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the bonnet misaligned, are the arms incorrect?
nah, I think it's a cunningly designed in flaw. I have the same problem on mine, and I think others do too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the blade rubbers just aren't hardened. If they've been sitting in the sun for the last 3 months they're probably gone tight through UV attack.

You can avoid the banging bodywork by careful adjustment of the wiper arms on the splines, though they could then thump the other side instead.

My various wiper arms have been hitting the bonnet both sides but taking the offending wiper arm off and doing it myself (sigh!) sorted it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I recently replaced my wiper arms with some Volvo 460 arms (any Volvo 400-series arms would fit) and fitted some Bosch 19/21 wiper blades from Halfrauds.

Not only do they clear the screen nicely, the passenger side wiper no longer takes chunks out of the trailing edge of the bonnet.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many people make the mistake of fitting the passenger wiper arm level with the bottom of the screen. It should be angled up the way. I have the bonnet cuts where the previous owner had put the wipers on wrong. They don't do it any more since I sorted it.

Marlon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts