Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windscreen wipers on my 1972 2000 GTV have just started the annoying habit of ‘crashing’ together on the return stroke and on occasions getting stuck.

Many years ago I had the same problem with my first Alfa a 1300 GT Junior and never cured it even after constantly adjusting the position of the arms.

As this appears to be a common problem, does anyone have any advice?

The position of the wiper arms look right and as it does not happen all of the time I am now wondering if the cure is a simple change of wiper blades or am I looking at a linkage overhaul.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I've never had that problem:confused:
I can't see how it can be the wipers, they just go where the linkage puts them, it's got to be some sort play in the linkage somewhere.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I've had it when the wipers judder instead of wiping cleanly - for instance when it's spitting a bit rather than completely wet. It seems to get their stroke out of synch!
:eek:

Make sure the screen is really clean and try some new wipers before taking everything bits.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I couldn't get my wipers to synchronise and park properly. It turned out they were 180 degrees out of phase.

I hope cleaning the screen and new blades is the easy fix but if you have to delve into the wiper mechanism then do yourself a favour and clean up the electrical connections while you're in there as they tend to corrode. Seal them against the elements with something like shrink tubing if you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
re Windscreen wipers hitting

Hi, I've just had the same problem. Bought a beautiful Junior yesterday and drove it back home in the rain, after about an hour of the wipers working (a bit juddery) they hit in the middle.

Screen cleared naturally at 60mph+!! so made it home, but don't think this is a long term solution.

did you solve your problem?

thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a similar problem yesterday with the nearside getting caught by the tip of the offside and it eventually getting pushed off and flopping about.

Turned out that the wipers had both slipped out of the U loop at the end of the arm.

Pushed them both firmly home and all was fine.

Might be worth just checking they are seated correctly in the U loop (assuming yours has that kind of fitting)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply's.

After adjusting the parked position of the wipers (bigger gap between them) I have not had a problem since.

Many years ago I had a 1.3 GT Junior with exactly the same problem, I think the linkage or splines must wear slightly and if the wipers are too close together in the park position then any delay caused by increased friction on the screen while they are wiping is enough to make them crash/hit.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I had the same, but mine was due to driving at a very "slow" speed and expecting them to still work...
I found that when I drove to fast it kinda "skipped a tooth"
Check if they still tight enough...

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for information all, yes I think the wiper arm was a bit loose and had skipped a tooth, I've re-adjusted and tightenned them up, although I'm not completely happy with the park position they work without clashing..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts