Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Mito is two years old and the original wiper blades are starting to struggle. I've been looking around at replacements and my first port of call was the net. I like Bosch blades but it was looking like nearly £30 for a pair so I strarted widening my search. Anyway to cut a long story short I found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280783967429?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now my first thoughts were 'dodgy copies' but I looked into it further and it's actually carwipers.co.uk (a site I have used often in the past) selling off some of their stock on ebay. So I bought a pair - at £7.94 including postage it seemed worth a go. Anyway arrived today, fitted (although fitting is correct it works slightly differently) and they work fine. Dead impressed!

As they are the same size as the G's I would probably have bought a pair for that but I'd already bought some.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh good find mate.

annoyingly i just ordered the bosch, not arrived yet thou
I still think you'll end up with the longer lasting blades, but at this price I could have three sets for the price of one Bosch - and three sets might just outlast your one!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have bought all the cheap crap wipers off ebay for various cars over the years,i was fed up with them so bought Bosch flat wipers off ebay this time,did'nt pay £30 quid though! and cannot fault them.
They have been on my 156 for a couple of years now and are still clearing the screen and do not need replacing.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last time I bought a pair of Bosch wiperblades off eBay it was delivered in a terrible state: it looked as if the box had been sat on & the blades were broken. That's not the blades fault, but when the items are shipped from the Channel Islands the likelihood of this kind if thing happening increases. The blades I mentioned are AC Delco blades, as would be fitted to a Corsa as standard. So cheap yes, rubbish no. If they had been Bosch ones I would have been even happier, Valeo, Champion or AC Delco as a second choice. I'll let you know how they deteriorate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having driven thru rain recently, I'm sick of my wiper blades. They judder, squeak, etc.

I think the driver's blade being so huge is a design flaw, its hard for it to have consistent pressure, and I guess there isn't much rain in Ital;y for the designers to notice the bad design.

Any suggestions for reasonable but good replacements?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the design, you just need to buy good quality wipers (I've got Bosch and they are excellent).

Want clean, smooth, silent wiper action? Get a cotton cloth, put a bit of white spirit on it, and thoroughly clean the glass (this will remove any sap or tar deposits). Once you've done this apply some Auto Glym car glass polish (this stuff is great, btw) and Bob's your uncle! :)

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's nothing wrong with the design, you just need to buy good quality wipers (I've got Bosch and they are excellent).

Want clean, smooth, silent wiper action? Get a cotton cloth, put a bit of white spirit on it, and thoroughly clean the glass (this will remove any sap or tar deposits). Once you've done this apply some Auto Glym car glass polish (this stuff is great, btw) and Bob's your uncle! :)
+1 I didn't use white spirit, I used neat washing up liquid, but any degreasing agent will do, provided that you get rid of all traces of it before trying to use the wipers again. Don't forget also to do the blades themselves. To be honest though, if the blades judder and squeak they need replacing. In order to make wiper blades last longer, use good quality screenwash frequently. It lubricates the blades and stops them hardening and becoming brittle.

The one thing I would say is that the curvature of the windscreen does seem to cause problems for older blades, often leaving patches unwiped.

I too would recommend the Auto Glym Car Glass Polish - but again glass and wiper blades!!

....oh one final thing too, lubricate the joint on the wiper arm - it helps the arm and wiper blade tension on the screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts