Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered when I first had occasion to use them, last week, after being away from the car for 2 months, that the windscreen washers are playing up. At that point, there was a weak stream from each nozzle which reached barely a third of the way up the screen. Now, it's a pathetic little dribble, hardly high enough for the blades to catch. Wondering if anyone can suggest what I should look at. The condition seems identical for both washers, suggesting it's something more/other than blocked nozzles. I've checked threads here but can't find anything specific to the 166.

Thx in anticipation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Top up the fluid all the way and use them loads. mine were similar to yours after they had been run low and not used for a while, they gradually got better and are fine now. not sure why, airlock or something like that, but took a while to get to full working. Think of it like an Italian tune up for the washer jets. beyond that I don't know!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The washers on the Jeep played up in similar fashion a while ago. Thought it was the pump but it turned out to be a build up of black crud clogging the pump inlet. Easy enough to sort once the reservoir was out of the car.

Also common is a jelly like substance caused by mixing of incompatible washer fluids not unlike the problems you can get mixing antifreeze types.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those replies. Happy to report the problem sorted (at least for now, touch wood, etc etc). Turns out that the delivery tube had gotten crimped by getting caught between wheel arch and engine mount - quite possibly t'other week when the air/con man was putting things back together after spending 2 hrs getting cold air to blow again. But mustn't grumble too much becos he didn't charge me, saying that it was a faulty o-ring on the pipework which he should have changed when he gave me a full service on the system last July, after I'd bought the car, but didn't. Anyways, I now have a fine spray of washer fluid from both nozzles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts