Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my window washers have stopped working!
I checked the pump and fuse and all are ok, so I think it is either the relay or the lever on the steering.
I can't seem to find our where the relay is situated, looked in the manual and can't find it in there.
As a quick fix I have put the wires from the headlight washer pump onto the window washer pump, only problem is the lights have to be on and it only goes for a second so you have to keep pulling the stick, but it works for now.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers, Terry.

2002 (Aug) 156 2.5 V6 manual

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I found the problem after about 3 hours of stuffing around.
My Alfa is a 156 2002 (Aug) so it has the auto wipers, headlight washers, climate control, etc.
First of all there is no relay but a "wiper control unit" that controls the wipers, intermittent wipers and windscreen washers.
Please note the headlight washers are on a completely different circuit.
The control unit is situated next to the wiper motor under the plastic section at the base of the windscreen (you just remove the left side to access it); the rain sensor is also there.
Anyway to cut a long story short the problem was a broken wire that was getting pinched when the steering wheel was adjusted all the way in. If you pulled the wheel out it worked fine, pushed it in nothing.
You don't know how many times I had everything apart all working, put it back together adjust the steering column and nothing!
Anyway hope this helps someone

Cheers,

Terry.

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Nice one Terry, cheap fix for you then :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a problem on my 2007 Spider where after a cold spell my washers would not work. Initially I thought that they were still frozen, but after a few days they still didn't work. It turned out that the hose on both jets had popped off under the pressure of trying to use them when the nozzles were frozen. I just unclipped the plastic cover on the underside of the bonnet and pushed the hose back on to each jet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My washer jets spray directly onto the wiper assemblies :rolleyes:

Can I adjust them with a pin, are are they fixed? I no longer trust my 156 manual, after my headlight nightmare!

·
Registered
306 Posts
My washer jets spray directly onto the wiper assemblies :rolleyes:

Can I adjust them with a pin, are are they fixed? I no longer trust my 156 manual, after my headlight nightmare!

You should find a little slot at the side of each washer jet enclosure at which you can make an adjustment with a small flat blade screwdriver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts