Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my gearbox out for diff failure and have replaced outer CV joints at the same time.

Now my windscreen washers wont work.

I have replaced the fuse even though it looked ok.

Is there a relay for the pump? if so where is it?

Otherwise I will next pull the pump out to check it.

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
do you hear the pump running ? rear washer working ?
If yes, could also be leaking or clamped hose.....

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Try connecting the pump to the battery with some long cable. If it doesn't run then you know the pump is broken. If it runs under this situation, try the washer operation again to check if the wipers do their clear sweep, if they do then the stalk is fine, so you'd be left with a wiring issue.
The pump is the most likely culprit though I'd say.
A few here have bought pattern pumps and they have failed soon after installation, with this in mind I replaced mine with a genuine Alfa part.

G

·
0 Posts
My pump was always being rubbish.

First step is to remove the pump.

On a 156 GTA,If you remove the coolant reservoir (just unbolt it and swing it out of the way, you can get to the pump (s)
The screen pump and the headlight pump use the same wiring connector type. It's a simple push fit.

Swap them over to check if it is the pump or the power.

Also, there is a one way valve in the pipework under the scuttle to stop the water draining out of the pipes.

Mine had failed shut so even with the pump rubbing, no water came out.

That took a while to find.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found my original pump was dead after testing.
So my new pump arrived today. I bought a pattern pump with twin outlets off Ebay from cponline15 fo a bargain price of 8 pounds delivered to New Zealand.

I have just fitted it.

Front washers work as they should but wipers do not come on at the same time as they normally would.

Rear washers dont work , but rear wiper does its normal automatic sweep and front washers squirt.

Are the electronics that control all this built into the pump unit or elsewhere?

Obvious answer is I should have bought a genuine Alfa part I suppose.

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts
I found my original pump was dead after testing.
So my new pump arrived today. I bought a pattern pump with twin outlets off Ebay from cponline15 fo a bargain price of 8 pounds delivered to New Zealand.

I have just fitted it.

Front washers work as they should but wipers do not come on at the same time as they normally would.

Rear washers dont work , but rear wiper does its normal automatic sweep and front washers squirt.

Are the electronics that control all this built into the pump unit or elsewhere?

Obvious answer is I should have bought a genuine Alfa part I suppose.
I suspect the pump won't work correctly for the rear washers, unless you do some modifications.
The standard pump reverses the electrical voltage on the pump to switch between front/rear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found another thread in the 147,156, GT forum. " Washer Pump Weirdness" exactly same problems as me with pattern part. Have now bought a Febi Bilstein Pump , part number 14368. 23 pounds delivered to NZ. Fitted it today. works perfectly now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts