Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there to all of you. I have a problem with the windscreen washers. When i pull the stalk-control to wash the windscreen, there is no sound from the pumper(The tank has water, but no water is ejected on the windscreen) and the wipers do not move automatically as they should(normally they move automatically even if there is no water in the tank, don't they?). The wipers work normal if i operate them for example in a rainy day, but when i want to use the washers nothing happens. I checked the fuse F43 from fuse box under the dash, but it seem fine(not blown). Whats the deal? New washer pump or faulty stalk-control? Is there anything else to check? And either way does anyone make a price estimation?
Also another thing... I want to replace my gear shift knob. Its the 5-speed gear knob with no pull mechanism for the reverse. It seems aluminum but i am not sure(i though to renovate it by sanding and polishing but gave up the idea), because at the down part of the knob seems that there is an aluminum paint coat that had peeled of. How on earth can be removed?
My Alfa is a GT 2009MY Veloce2 1.8TS. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The gear knob needs heating with a hair dryer and then brute force to twist off. This is the best made part of your car.
If the wipers don't move with the stalk then I'd guess the fault is in the stalk switch not the pump. You can check the pump by supplying it with 12volts.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The gear knob needs heating with a hair dryer and then brute force to twist off. This is the best made part of your car.
If the wipers don't move with the stalk then I'd guess the fault is in the stalk switch not the pump. You can check the pump by supplying it with 12volts.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Thanx mate for your fast answer. after heating, i just pull the knob, or pull and twist to left/right?
Also is this a metal knob or a plastic with metal effect coating? If it is metal could be polished.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi there to all of you. I have a problem with the windscreen washers. When i pull the stalk-control to wash the windscreen, there is no sound from the pumper(The tank has water, but no water is ejected on the windscreen) and the wipers do not move automatically as they should(normally they move automatically even if there is no water in the tank, don't they?). The wipers work normal if i operate them for example in a rainy day, but when i want to use the washers nothing happens. I checked the fuse F43 from fuse box under the dash, but it seem fine(not blown). Whats the deal? New washer pump or faulty stalk-control? Is there anything else to check? And either way does anyone make a price estimation?
I'm not 100% sure the GT will be the same as my 156, but I'd agree that the wipers should work even if the pump does not. The connections on my pump are a bit dodgy, but even when the pump is not working the wipers still go. I'd be surprised if there was anything which cuts off wipers if it detects the pump is not working. That suggests the problem is likely to be with the stalk.

Assuming accessing the pump is similar to on the 156 it's pretty simple to check with a multimeter if power is getting to it, and separately power the pump with leads straight from the battery which will tell you if the pump is ok or not.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The only thing I had concerns of was does it go through the GT body computer.

As no one else has flagged this, I'm probably wrong and the set up is a more traditional switch going to pump and timer relay for wipers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please give me a hand. How to replace the gear knob? its the aluminum billet with the classic reverse and 5 speed. Do i have to heat it up and then brutally pull upwards? or do i have to turn it anti clockwise?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try pulling the wiper stalk really hard towards you. Mine is the same and yoy gotta pull it harder then it'll squirt. As I tell the girl at work.. Fnarr Fnarr...
You were right my friend... just pulled it harder and it works!!! You saved me money and time... THANX!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts