Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning all,

is there a way to defrost the frozen windscreen washers on the front of my 147?

in my pre alfa days my mondeo would do it when i turned the heated windscreen on, within a few minutes water would be flowing!

i've found through trial and error that my heated back screen button defrosts my mirrors, is there a similar button tied to the water jets?

if not, how do you guys get it working on these cold mornings to clear the windscreen of all the grit and salt sludge that comes off the road.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Unless you've got the Winter Pack (heated seats and headlamp washers) the washer jets are not heated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thansk for the quick reply, I do have heated seats and front light washers.

As far as i can tell the heated jets are not automatic, i drove 40 mins into work today and they were still frozen up when i arrived.

Assuming i have the winter pack how do i turn the defrosting on?

thanks again

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
ianrandy said:
Assuming i have the winter pack how do i turn the defrosting on?
That I don't know!!
:D :eek:
Sorry.

Hopefully someone with a 147 Winter Pack will be along shortly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also had the same problem this morning, along with a 'frozen' fuel gauge which had the light on for half my journey before correcting itself (finally got warm?!?!) and displayed ¼ of a tank remaining.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Isnt there windscreen washer fluids u could add to water to prevent the fluid from freezing in the first place?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, there probably is. Its got just normal screen wash in at the mo but that doesnt stop the ends frosting up.

As i apparently have the ability to heat them i'd rather find out how to turn this on... if its there i want to use it!

thanks,
ian

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have winter pack. To turn on the heated washer jets you need to press the top button on the far right climate control dial (best I can describe it). Pressing the bottom button will only operate the heated rear screen. Pressing the top botton operates the rear screen plus heated washer jets, heated wing mirrors and sets up the climate for maximum effeciency from my understanding. Pressing this button this morning worked for me!

Hope this helps on the next frosty morning :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that, that was the only thing i didnt try. i tend to put the heater on full manually when i get in as i didnt have the patience for the car to warm up before it decides to give me hot air.

next time i'll be more patient :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Ford / XXX hot screens should be standard on all cars IMHO. I had an 1.8 16v Orion Ghia injection with a standar heated screen & washer system :cool:

It was a pretty good car that and in many ways, the 156 reminds me of it (although it's 10 times better to drive) :D

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Noticed my windscreen washers were heated for the first time today. To be honest it's the first real test since I bought the car in July and I only noticed because I was allowing the car to warm up before I set-off so I could see the small patches of melted frost around the jets while I was scraping the screen.

It would therefore follow that they turn on when the demist option is selected on the climate control, as suggested by Mike 170177.

You learn something every day.

Yesterday I learnt that an early morning 60 mile trip in flithy weather uses about 5lts of screen wash & that the headlamp wash units are a real pain on the motorway in such weather because they ensure that the main screen wash jets are too weak to do anything! I kept having to turn the lights off at traffic lights to clean the windscreen! :rant:

p.s. Just like to say that heated leather seats are the absolute mutts proverbials in this weather. :D

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Winter Tip . A wee drop of methylated spirit (Meths) along with screenwash can keep them working in freezing conditions.Simple but effective.

·
Registered
25 Posts
didn't even realise that mine had heated washer jets let alone know how to turn them on!!
hope its frosty in the morning now so i can try them out!!
thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts