Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm still having problems with my windscreen washers on my 95 1.8 8v widebody pumping very slow. tried to find a blockage but can't see anything. I will have a closer look, will i have to move the expansion tank to gain access to the washer tank, if i remove that will it be a matter of just swapping the pump for a different one. At the moment that's all i can think it is. Anyone!!

cheers

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the same 1.8 8v 95. And had problems with wipers, changed with 440/460 volvo's and everything is fine now, but the washers "pee" very weak :( . I'm thinking about changing the the pump with more powerful one from other cars, is that possible or is there an easyer way out?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pumps have filters on them that do get blocked.

The pumps (there are 2 - one for the lights and one for the windscreen) do indeed just pull out. If you decide the pump is gandered, the pumps out of a 145 /146 are different but you might be able to make them fit with a bit of silicone sealant, but it'd probably be better to find a scrap 155 if you can.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The headlight washer pump is common to the 33, 75, 155 & 164. Part number 60507088 £83.59 from dealer or 0 392 003 451 £47.95 from your local Bosch agent. :rolleyes:
Whylst the Windscreen Washer pump is common to the 155, 156, 166, Spider & GTV, and now the Fiats Punto Cabrio, Marea, Doblo, Ducato, Tempra & Coupe. and Lancia Dedra. This is based on a superseeded part number of 46760972 which costs £16.93 according to the parts disc. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
46,146 Posts
I kow of one person who ran some cleaning agent through the washers a few times and solved this problem. Can't remember what he used though. Do a forum search, it was emntioned on here.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this problem but it turned out not to be the pumps but the 'Y' peice in the scuttle panel. It is a one way valve and the valve was not opening fully thus no shooting water.
Try this as it is cheaper than a pump and you can take the diafram out the middle of this 'Y' peice so it just runs straight through.

Ted ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll second the Y piece suggestion. My washers died suddenly, and it was this piece that had failed.

Robert.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll third it. Happened on my last 155 but lucky for me it some how fixed it's self. Might have got some muck in it. So may be a good clean out might sort it. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rjf said:
I'll second the Y piece suggestion. My washers died suddenly, and it was this piece that had failed.

Robert.
Thanks where is the 'Y' piece located going to have a look today if it warms up a bit.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Phil

It's under the black scuttle panel beneath the wiper arms. When you remove the scuttle panel the washer pipe is attached to it and you'll see the "Y" piece.

wrinx

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all it was the 'Y' piece under the scuttle panel I removed the perished rubber bit inside the Y piece & it works fine. :) :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bazza said:
I kow of one person who ran some cleaning agent through the washers a few times and solved this problem. Can't remember what he used though. Do a forum search, it was emntioned on here.
I have tried a Milton Serilizing tablet (used for baby bottles), place one tablet in the tank and use as normal. It did make a difference to mine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nordic Blue said:
I had this problem but it turned out not to be the pumps but the 'Y' peice in the scuttle panel. It is a one way valve and the valve was not opening fully thus no shooting water.
Try this as it is cheaper than a pump and you can take the diafram out the middle of this 'Y' peice so it just runs straight through.

Ted ;)
Isn't this the non return valve??? if you remove the diaphram, water returns to the tank, when you use the washers it takes an age to squirt out of the jets.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, I found that on the twinny, Non-return vlave broke and Alfa didn't have a spare so I stuck a "T" piece in with no valve. The wipers do a couple of sweeps before the water comes out......not good for the wipers!

wrinx

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes is is a little slower starting but 100% better all round than before.

Thanks
Phil Glover :)

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
You can get a none return valve from Halfrauds. The combined Y-piece/one way valve had bunged up on our 145, so I put in a separate valve and T-piece and it works fine.
Also, at the base of the pump is a little tea strainer thing. This was full of green algae so I gave it a good scrubbing!
:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts