Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again when if you can't squirt a good dose of neat screeenwash then you will be blinded.

3 of my washer nozzles seem to be operating out of an estimated 8 total (4 per side ?) and those 3 are only just pointing in the right place to work due to the appallingly crap or knackered adjustment screws ie. might just about work when the ice hits hard.

Any seasonal tips on removal and renovation. Looks like the drivers scuttle has to come off which looks like both complete wiper arms have to come off the splined shaft first - usually a bit of a bar steward.

Is it worth tring to clean / unblock the nozzles or just get new ones Alfa/ebay?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Jusr prise them off gently from top, no neet to move scuttle, soak them in hot water over night, blow thru them in morn, lots of plant seeds come out. Any probs I am only in Newton Mearns.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dead on - nice tip. I'll try it tomorrow.

Has to be a major suspect as my car started stinking of rotten eggs recently and even after letting Nickfit re-life the aircon it made no diference at which point they suggested the battery was shagged. Hhhmmm, recently charged to 12.8V and the indicator window showing perfectly healthy - I think not ! It was coming from the washer reservoir, which when siphoned out (cough), half the Gangees Delta came with it - as well several new life forms. Totally cured by repeated drains and a refill with a light dose of bleach left in overnight.

So it would seem i've sorted the resevoir but it is highly likely there is a major residue sitting behind the jets.

Note on the thread from 'steveisfrowning' - I used to use aerosol lighter refuel gas (available at all good Swedish Chemists) on those tiny bike carb air jets (in the blissful the days before injectors) as it cleaned them out and de-silted them a treat - may also work on the washer jets ?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Whilst I've cleaned out a few 156 washer jets using a thin wire (eg a strand from a wire brush) its worth bearing in mind that a new pair of jet assemblies are pretty cheap from a dealers (under £10 IIRC) and can easily be supplied by mail order - I know Mangoletsi have done this for me in the past....

but to answer the original question, to remove the jet assembly, just push a thin blade in from each side and they pop out easily - pipes pull off if you are careful:) Worth pumping through whilst the jet assembly is disconnected to flush out any of the crap still cluttering up the system....;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More top advice - and well noted, thankyou. Are they meant to be adjustable for height via the apparent slot adjuster on the side of the jet body or is it just an illusion ? In all this confusion ?

I will post a full report on the results of 'The Big Blockage Inquest' tommorrow. Sorry can't help it, facetious is my middle name !

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Job done.

1. The top rectangur nozzle body comes off the angle pipe underneath so you can dislodge the crap behind the nozzles with warm soapy water and a brush or pipe cleaner.
2. Nozzle body held lightly in vice (to avoid frostbite and get a good push on the nozzle) and aerosol lighter refill 3-4 short blasts (head back to avoid getting in the eyes).
3. Back in the hot soapy water and repeat aerosol blasting.

Result - 3/8 feeble piddles turned into 7/8 proudly erect hoses in about 20 minutes. Extra 10 minutes for 8-10 re-adjustments of the nozzle angle because they are now shooting straight over the top of the car. Nozzle 8 not working on passenger side (hardly necessary) but may clear itself with a tank of neat fluid put in just for good measure.

Thanks guys. So pleased I may even wash the car ... next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts