Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are going really well with my 155 this winter. :rant:
One thing is the erratic windscreen wipers and the intermittent (or lack of ...) timer not working all the timer, but the fact that the windscreen washer is working like it is in dire need of a prostate operation.
It only piddles washer fluid out and I am wondering whether it could have naything to do with the wiper relay - given that this is usually the blame for the erratic wiper movement.

I have had the leads jiggled, but have not yet dismantled the washer container, motor etc. to see how it works.

Car has only travelled a mere 58.000kms and it's from Italy, so I am assuming that it can't be a worn motor.

Anyone out there experiencing same problems - and have a solution??

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Dunno.. but you should check the whole circuit for blockages or kinked hoses.. they're easy to squash, especially under the scuttle panel.

The motor may be "tired" but unfortunately they're not cheap (£22) so a bit dear as an experiment. But if you take the header tank off you'll be able to see the washer motor (it's the little one.. the bigger one is the headlamp washers).

If you remove the water pipe and work the washers, have a look if the water runs out or just dribbles. Even a new pump doesn't squirt the water out at any pressure; it's more like it's just running out of a hole.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I am wondering whether it could have naything to do with the wiper relay - given that this is usually the blame for the erratic wiper movement.
Errrr no it isn't ;) From experience the 155 erratic wipers are down to the wiper motor, badly designed they transfer grease from the worm gear over the electrical contacts causing a poor circuit and a wobbly wobbly result, there's instructions on how to fix it somewhere, takes about an hour ;)

Things are going really well with my 155 this winter. :rant:
One thing is the erratic windscreen wipers and the intermittent (or lack of ...) timer not working all the timer, but the fact that the windscreen washer is working like it is in dire need of a prostate operation.

I have had the leads jiggled, but have not yet dismantled the washer container, motor etc. to see how it works.
Have you scrubbed the jets? could be salt blocking them, a kink as Ralf says or gunk on the motor filter ;)

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
To be fair to the wiper motor.. mine's still original and I never had any trouble with it whatsoever. 14 years and Jupiter mileage..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My first thought is if it's frozen. Engine off, ignition on, can you hear the motor? It could be frozen or an electrical fault. The jets could be frozen,(pour warm water on them) but the filter grommet which seals the pump onto the reservoir is good at blocking. For that the pump must come out and then the grommet to check if it's blocked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ally - thanks for the input. I think that this is probably going to be the culprit.
And Ralf - good to hear that there are others out there that run well without problems.
Thompatruck - I've found somebody who can modify the relay which should solve the errattic wipers. In all my search on the different forums, it is the first time that I hear that it could be the motor, if so, it'll be a challenge.

Thanks all for your advice.

Per

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an entirely different problem - a hole or a crack in the reservoir somewhere, which means that a full reservoir empties in about a day or so...

Still, I don't suppose it's anything that can't be fixed with a strip of gaffer tape...

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I have an entirely different problem - a hole or a crack in the reservoir somewhere, which means that a full reservoir empties in about a day or so...

Still, I don't suppose it's anything that can't be fixed with a strip of gaffer tape...
I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the headlamp washer pump seal (within the unit itself) had perished causing water to come up through the pump.
Yes the motor was fubarred..
I now have a rubber bung in there until I can be bothered to get a new headlamp washer pump

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
its defo the motor for the irratic wipers, you have to clean the excess grease off the contacts and bend them so they make better contact, done it for a few motors now :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the headlamp washer pump seal (within the unit itself) had perished causing water to come up through the pump.
Yes the motor was fubarred..
I now have a rubber bung in there until I can be bothered to get a new headlamp washer pump
Hmmmmmmm, interesting - I'm going to get it seen to at the same time as my troublesome immobiliser as mentioned in a separate thread. All part of my preparation for a short trip by road to France at the end of the month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts