Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to clean out the windscreen washer jet on my Spider as the spray from them is very weak. I presume I just need a needle or a pin to unblock them? Is there anything else I should look at if that doesn't work?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Pin method not very effective with this type.
You are best to take the nozzle jet out and cleaning it with soap water or a something slightly stronger if your in a hard water area. Lift bonnet and look for the little black access panels which pop off with a blade. Nozzle jets then unclip and hose pulls off. Really easy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Thanks. Yes, I live in a very hard water area so I probably need to de-calc the nozzles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a brief look last night (before it started raining!). I popped off the cover but couldn't see how to release the nozzles. Is it just a matter of pinching the clips that secure the nozzle onto the bonnet?

Whilst the washers work to an extent, I get a very weak spray onto my windscreen. I reckon 70% of the water goes onto the roof and the boot!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, they are pinch clips. New ones are around £10 each inc postage, maybe less from your local Stealer!
I've seen several threads on here saying that they are designed to spray all over your car when it's not moving. Apparently, they spray correctly at speed (which they actually do).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm in a very hard water area too - DON'T use a pin - on my 159 I really knackered them - the water goes everywhere, except where I want it to.

No comments re; Saturday night down the local please :paranoid:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Does the filler bottle and filter need cleaning? gunge settles in the bottom of the bottle and clogs the washer/filter/pump.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The nozzles will pop out with a bit of persuasion and should go back in fine

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The only way to improve the nozzles is to soak them in vinegar over night.
And blow them through.

Then just unclip/pop out. Careful of the bonnet paintwork. Use a plastic implement to
push on the clips from underneath. (iirc)

As others have said the pin method will destroy them.

I have one spare knocking around somewhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking there's nothing actually wrong with them!

I've seen a few threads on here that suggest the nozzles are set to spray high and the jet will be forced downwards when the car is being driven. I've only tested it when it's stationary and the windscreen is covered but most of the water goes onto the root and boot. However, at speed the water is directed at the windscreen.

Is there anyone here with a Spider who can confirm/deny the above?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts