Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been faffing about under those under-bonnet flaps as no water was going onto my windscreen when I activated the washer. I found that the shorter tube which goes to the nearside wiper wasn't connected, so I put it back on. When I tested it, next, there was a water stream shooting straight up which then dropped all over the engine bay. I didn't see where it was coming from exactly, but covered the area with a towel and tested again. There is water coming out of the wipers, but still this stream of water shooting out of the y-piece I think. I checked the tubing for worn edges and holes, they seem alright, however the y-piece has a hole in the center. This doesn't look like an accidental hole, so am I missing something? Should there be a cap or a pin of some sort over this hole?

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
That Y-piece is also the one-way valve; prevents your wiper fluid to flow back to the reservoir so you get instant 'wiper-spray' when you operate your washer. Without the one-way valve it'll also work, but you'll have to wait a bit longer before your window's washed.

BUT, I've seen these one-way valves fail in exactly the way you've seen; water coming out of the small hole in the housing itself (Fiat Ceicento, Alfa 156, Peugeot 205). Dunno what causes it, also cannot figure out why it shoud do that out of the blue, but replacing them always worked :thumbs:

So or get a new (Y-)one-way valve, or take a plain Y-piece and wait a bit longer before the spray.

Cheers
Martijn

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow, thanks Martijn- I didn't know it would be a one-way valve. Well, I'll see if I can track one down now, in the meantime I'll try and block this hole. Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Other Half had the same promlem with hers.

I found that a very small/short screw just sealed the hole and has been fine for some months. It might help you for now.

dodge

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers dodge, looked high and low for screws, but found some little rubber "feet" (think what's under a laptop) in a drawer. sanded both surfaces a little and superglued one on. looks neat, just hope it lasts.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Is there not a reason for that hole? Like it allows the the fluid to escape if the pressure is too great or something?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Inside the valve is a piece of latex-type rubber that perishes. Hole is just a vent for the air on the 'other side' to the water. B&Q and other diy shops do a kit of tubing and connectors for things such as aquaria. Very handy for this type of purpose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got a one way valve from halfords today. It's not a y-piece but as I've fixed the original, I'll put the new inline valve somewhere along the tube tomorrow. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts