Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't Alfa stick a low windscreen washer fluid warning sensor as standard on their cars? So frustrating when you are driving along the motorway and you suddenly find that you have run out of water :wow:

My GT didn't have any warning and that was worse as I had the headlight washers too, but by FORD Cougar had a warning light!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
How big is the reservoir on the 159? On the 145 and 156 they are big enough that you just top it up ervery few days in this weather?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
How big is the reservoir on the 159? On the 145 and 156 they are big enough that you just top it up every few days in this weather?
:lol:

Driving from London to Lincoln before Christmas, starting with a full washer bottle, it was empty after 100 miles... (2/3rds of the journey).

Any longish drive in this weather means having to carry spare washer fluid in the boot for emergency roadside refills.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
:lol:

Driving from London to Lincoln before Christmas, starting with a full washer bottle, it was empty after 100 miles... (2/3rds of the journey).

Any longish drive in this weather means having to carry spare washer fluid in the boot for emergency roadside refills.
bl**dy hell, how often are you using them? Must be a good few seconds every mile :eek::eek: I topped up last weekend, I just refilled tonight, and I've done about 400 miles this week :confused:

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
bl**dy hell, how often are you using them? Must be a good few seconds every mile :eek::eek: I topped up last weekend, I just refilled tonight, and I've done about 400 miles this week :confused:
The problem was salt on the roads thrown up on the screen, so they get used a lot on Motorway or A roads.
Well, they do when the jets aren't frozen!!

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Why doesn't Alfa stick a low windscreen washer fluid warning sensor as standard on their cars? So frustrating when you are driving along the motorway and you suddenly find that you have run out of water :wow:

My GT didn't have any warning and that was worse as I had the headlight washers too, but by FORD Cougar had a warning light!
:confused:...because they probably think that owners are sensible enough to check more regularly in bad weather conditions........;)

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
the reservoir on the 159 seems to be pretty generous but the system seems to freeze very easily. any other car i've ever had has been fine once they've defrosted as the heat from the engine seemed to keep them working. but not the 159, as soon as the temp drops a few degrees below 0, they freeze over again. even on a long journey when the engine's been at full operating temp for hours on end :(

G

·
If you buy the Xenon HiD lights you get headlight washers and you also get a washer level warning light.

So the answer is - don't be mean with the cash and you CAN have a level warning! :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:confused:...because they probably think that owners are sensible enough to check more regularly in bad weather conditions........;)
Haha well the car seems to go through the water so quick, you can fill up and be empty in one trip! :lol:

Also whos idea was it to put the filler next right next to the fuse box? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havent seen any leakage from under the car. I think its just that in this weather with all the rubbish coming off the road, im just using loads of water to keep the screen clean!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Each time i use my windscreen washer,it washes the whole car plus the car behind:lol: I re-fill the washer tank twice a week,,Not surprising why it shines all the time

·
Registered
972 Posts
Each time i use my windscreen washer,it washes the whole car plus the car behind:lol: I re-fill the washer tank twice a week,,Not surprising why it shines all the time
So the answer is......to follow another Alfa up the motormay; then when his washer bottle is empty you swap places :lol: I like the sound of that - Alfa's going up the motorway in pairs, helping each other out :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
If you buy the Xenon HiD lights you get headlight washers and you also get a washer level warning light.
That is good.
The only warning I get on my 156 is that the headlight washers stop working just before the screen washers. So you know you only have a few more squirts before empty.

(5.3L capacity on a 156, so that was 5cc per mile average on that trip!)

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Haha well the car seems to go through the water so quick, you can fill up and be empty in one trip! :lol:
I think its just that in this weather with all the rubbish coming off the road, im just using loads of water to keep the screen clean!
Well dan, I'm still :confused:.....so how would an "idiot" light make any difference. Say you are on the motorway, just passed a services and the warning light comes on....how does that help you....:rolleyes:
In driving conditions as they are at the moment, fill the reservoir before each journey, carry a 4 litre milk carton of spare washer fluid, adds about 2 minutes to your journey time..:)
And please...the way you said your F*** Cougar had an idiot light makes it sound as though you think that it was better than an Alfa.....:p

PS......only winding you up....:lol:...just confused about your initial concern at the lack of an "idiot light"......:rolleyes:

G

·
Why do you need a light? If water doesn't come out when you spray: it's empty and needs filling.
:thumbs:

It's got a 3 litre capacity, I think.

And Alfa don't fill it full in the factory. :tut:
(I ran out half way through France.)

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Why do you need a light? If water doesn't come out when you spray: it's empty and needs filling.
Or the jets are frozen!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts