Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
46,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the scuttle off over the weekend to try to renovate it. I'm actually very pleased with the results of spraying it, but struggling more with the rubber seal that sits between it and the windscreen. Tried to reattach with adhesive, and not had much luck. Originally it was attached with a strip of double sided tape it appears - any ideas where I can buy such a thing? It's only about 3mm wide.

·
Administrator
46,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Supplementary question: Is there a problem with running without it for a while? It doesn't actually seal against the windscreen, so I assume it's just there to ensure the scuttle doesn't rattle?

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Supplementary question: Is there a problem with running without it for a while? It doesn't actually seal against the windscreen, so I assume it's just there to ensure the scuttle doesn't rattle?
Shouldn't be a problem.
As you say, it isn't watertight anyway, there are grills in the same panel that let water in.
Pre 2002 they just had a foam strip, the rubber seal was added in the 2002 facelift.

·
Administrator
46,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks David.

Right, I'm going to go out to the garage and see how bad a job the adhesive has done now it's had a chance to set - and probably pull the seal off altogether if I'm right about how bad I suspect it'll be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry to jump in but mine is looking a bit perished - any ideas where to get a new one? Is it just standard rubber strip - any ideas where to source this?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I cleaned mine up and stuck it back onto the scuttle with super glue.

·
Administrator
46,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to jump in but mine is looking a bit perished - any ideas where to get a new one? Is it just standard rubber strip - any ideas where to source this?

Thanks
While it looks like it's shaped to the scuttle, when you look at the back, it's just got slits in it to allow it to form around corners - so I suspect you could grab something generic, yes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guys just a thought how about draft extruder from B+Q they do it in a rubber strip with the adhesive back just a thought not actually look at mine

·
Administrator
46,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect (but certainly don't know) that would be way too big.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I still don't understand what bit you are talking about :p
Can somebody upload a picture of actual part on 156 GTA? Would be perfect, thanks! :)

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
I still don't understand what bit you are talking about :p
Can somebody upload a picture of actual part on 156 GTA? Would be perfect, thanks! :)
Maybe yours have gone missing already.

The 2 part plastic scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen has a rubber seal where it meets the screen.

Same on all post 2002 facelift 156, not just GTA.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Aaa... I think that now I know what You are reffering to :)
Mine is loose from both ends little bit and also from the middle.
Cheers David!

·
Administrator
46,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the end, the adhesive didn't work, so I ran without the rubber strip at all. It made no difference whatsoever as far as I could tell.

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys does anybody know where I can but the rubber that goes along the front of the scuttle mine is very loose and very worn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts