Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a common problem for 166s to suffer scratching from the wiper blades?

Mine had some arc shaped fine scratches when I got it, but I replaced the blades as soon I got it with Bosch aero blades. A year later and I'm sure the scratches have got worse.

I was just cleaning the screen and noticed just how bad it is. We're not talking the odd scratch here and there, it's literally the whole swept area of both wipers that is thoroughly scratched up. It makes me think that this is a contributory factor to why I get so badly blinded by oncoming traffic at night (I thought it was just the crap 166 headlights).

I've got a screen polishing kit that I hope can improve things, but I'm just curious if this is a problem others have had. I can't understand why it's so bad becuase it's not like I'm using knackered, old, poor quality, contaminated blades.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Haven't had this problem with ours, Dec 2000 with 125,000 miles on the clock. However, particular cars can suffer individual problems so I would guess yours has either had worn out blades or a problem with the mechanism/arms/springs in the past.

I've also seen scatches on windscreens caused by wiping the screen when it was dry (i.e. leaving the wipers in the on position when switching off the engine in the rain and then re-starting the engine later when it's dry).

If the polishing doesn't work you might need a new screen.....:cry:

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,171 Posts
I have found using rain x ( after cleaning the glass with a glass cleaner paste before using it) not only means you do not use your wipers as often but when applying the rain x, it also removes more ingrained dirt as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts