Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Windscreen - rusty and leaky

618 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gazza82 
#1 ·
The top of the windscreen is really quite rusty. The windscreen has also started to leak. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the two may be related. Incredibly the windscreen is original which means it and its bonding are 17 years old so it may also be that the bonding has simply degraded.

The correct solution would be to take out the windscreen, treat the rust, paint and reinstall the windscreen. I'm reluctant to spend that sort of money on a car which is worth diddly but I would like to extend its life a little.

I have a plan which I would like your comments on. I plan to squirt some rust converter between the frame and the window rubber to arrest the rot. Then I plan to fill the gap with something flexible and very sticky to plug the leaks. Something like this:

Then I might do something cosmetic to the rust that remains visible.

My worry is that the rust converter will stop the sealant from sticking properly and inhibit it from becoming watertight. Is there a type of rust converter/inhibitor which would be better to use than any other, or is just a stupid plan?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure about the plan but Kurust is good & easily painted over.

It's available from Halfords in different quantities, do a search, a little goes a long way. I think it's also available as a gel. Mask off any surface you don't want it on, it dries black & doesn't like to come off !

#4 ·
Rust converter will work on the visible parts but I suspect the lip where windscreen seals will still be gradually rusting away beneath as you won’t be able to get to it with screen in.

sealing might stop the leak for a time but I would think it will come back due to the rusty lip underneath and the water travelling around the screen towards the damaged area. You would end up having to seal all the way round the screen in my opinion.

#5 ·
I suspect you're right Johnny. My plan was to surround the whole windscreen with gunk. The idea isn't to fix the problem, just to get a few more years out of the car. There's a whole other rust time bomb ticking underneath the car but that's for another post.

#6 ·
My experience with rust around windscreens is just based on what a panel beater told me when I got rust fixed on one of my cars. Basically, it's like an ice burg and a lot more rust is hiding away once the windscreen is removed.

You could always do a semi-permanent fix yourself. Get a windscreen technician to remove your windscreen. You can then spend days, weeks, months removing the rust and giving it a good treatment. Then when ready call the windscreen guy back in to refit windscreen.

But I guess just a basic wire brush of existing visible rust. Then treat with converter then cover with some sealant type stuff should 'allow you to get a couple more years out the car' and hopefully stop the leaks.

#7 ·
Bilt-Hamber Deox-C is good and you might be able to get it from Opie Oils .. assuming they deliver to Ireland.

Not sure if you can get a bonded screen out in one piece!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.