Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Windscreen replacement

Tags
windscreen
1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  jurdy1 
#1 ·
My windscreen has decided to crack itself this morning. I can only assume the cold weather has had an affect.

I won't go through my insurers as I've given them more than enough pain in two life times as my 355 rebuild continues.

The question is, what price for a rain sensing 156 screen and how much to fit it as well. I won't use people like autoglass as our local franchise are pretty poor.

#2 ·
I paid a total of £186:72 inc vat using National Windscreens; I claimed it through insurance, minus the excess.

It is a green Pilkington screen, unlike the rubbish that Autoglass wanted to fit - I rejected that because of distortion and a mark between the glass.

The retail price is a claimed £461 + vat for the windscreen alone.

Product numbers
Windscreen: 2034AGNP18
Trim: 2034ASMS
Sensor pad: MWS677

Hope that helps.

Rob

Reactions: will01
#7 ·
I've pretty much got the same price as you. Hopefully the glass quality is good. Amazingly if you want an original (NOS) they are over £400 from Italy. I don't whether there are huge differences but I,ll advise once it's done..

#11 ·
Yes, mine is a pattern part 'green' pilkington unit that was fitted by National. It's pretty good. The only obvious difference is that there isn't any Alfa logos anywhere but you know what, it's been fitted well, they were happy to jiggle it around when the 'foot' for the rear view mirror wasn't sitting quite right... And it saved me about £500 for an Alfa one. Which you can only get from Italy by the looks of things.

I'd steer clear of Autoglass if you can, your insurer more than likely will say that you have to use them but if you can find the unit for less fitted they usually listen.

Personally I think they will balk quite hard at an OEM unit, remember they don't have to give you one, they only have to put you into the position you were in prior to the loss. Your insurance docs may also stipulate that pattern parts are OK as replacement of the OEM unit is not readily available.

#12 ·
Cheers for the reply! Quite helpful. I've done a few searches for OEM windscreens but havn't come up with much. I'm willing to pay the extra if I can get the OEM. Do you have any links as to where I can source both the one you have and the ones from Italy? Would like to weigh up all options.

#13 ·
I spoke to Anna at Day and Whites. They look after my cars. She has an Italian source for things like this. I don't think they will just sell you the screen though unless you pick it up from them as the shipping is the tricky bit as they will receive it from Italy and then on to you etc.

They are always helpful and near to Brands Hatch so no too far from London.

#14 ·
Woke up this morning and the small crack i noticed in the bottomright hand corner after suspension failed on me has grown right across drivers view!
I need a new windscreen for my 156 GTA :(

Do the aftermarket screens work with rain sensing wipers? I don't want to lose functionality, but also don't want to pay the earth for the screen if i don't have to.
Any advice be greatly appreciated

#16 ·
Value means nothing to me, as long as the new windscreen fits well, looks like the original and allows me to keep 100% functionality it is all good.
Original is one thing, but can't be bothered to get caught up on that as i liek to drive my cars.

Alot of people moan that we upgrade many of the old classics that we own e.g. E-Type and therefore it is not original. But lets face it original does not mean best. In some cases it can mean crap! E-Types need upgraded brakes for the modern world, electric fans to keep them from boiling up after spirited driving. Electronic ignition so you can rely on starting it etc. Bit off topic lol

I will contact my insurer and see what they say, try to use National windscreens as i have been advised elsewhere and hope it is a good fit. I will do the annoying thing and stand there watching it being fitted. Hate people who stand over your shoulder haha

Reactions: maxiboy wales
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.