Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Numptional Windscreens. . . those chaps are an absolute shower!!
I ring them up from Aviva's windscreen line to get it replaced, 3" crack across the A Zone from a large brick, "certainly sir, does your car have the automatic wipers?"
"Yes it does have a rain sensor."
"Very good sir well be with you next Tuesday"
"fine thanks" plus my address etc.
Tuesday rolls around and around rolls the man from National Windscreens. First thing he says is that they haven't got the trim for round the screen so he's hoping to put the old stuff back in. He doesn't want a cup of tea ( in answer to my offer )He'll give me a knock when it's all done.
25 mins later ( god knows what he's been doing for all that time because.. ) "sorry I can't get the old trim out it's been stuck in, they should have given me the proper trim at the depot"
You don't say!
Now I'm one half day pay down, with nothing to show. Except he's put a new 4" crack in the screen in the bottom left hand corner!
A new day is organised and along comes a different "chummy" starts to prise at the screen, stops and says " your screen has a rain sensor, you should have said that! This is the standard screen!" So now it's a week and a half since the screen got cracked, I'm 2 afternoons money poorer and nothing to show for it
The ^@**ers.
A new date is not yet arrranged as the rain sensor screens are "apparently- according to Numptional Windscreens- a dealer only part "so it could take some time to source". Perhaps if they'd been actually listening last Monday when I rang them up and answered their rain sensor question it would have been here a bit sooner. They're reckoning it could be a couple of weeks!!
My wife needs that car to drive to work and take the kids with 2 large and growing cracks in the screen

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyway I was ranting on so I forgot the point of the post which was to ask if all Rain-sensor Windscreens are dealer only; or does anyone know of a supplier? Can the sensors be bought separately or even removed from the old screen and attached to a replacement one?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Is this for your 156 or GT? For the 156, aftermarket screens for rain sensor are available. Note that they don't come with rain sensor fitted (the rain sensor isn't fitted to the screen, it's mounted to part of the rear view mirror body, and held against the inside of the screen), the screens just have a different shape for the shading where the sensor is mounted. For the aftermarket screen, they have to remove the mirror mount from the old screen and glue it to the replacement screen. A genuine screen will come with a new mirror mount already fitted. I had a bad experience with aftermarket replacement screens and ended up with a genuine one. Go that way if you can.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sprint. It's actually for the GT this time, but what you say is worth knowing because I tend to drive Alfi - the 156 in a more "enthusiastic" manner than my wife ( mainly ) drives Butch the GT and obviously it could always happen to either car in the future.
Nupty-onal Windscreen phoned me yesterday to say they will fix the screen a week on monday and will only charge me £50 of the excess, instead of the full £75. An hour of the 6 off work refunded then whoopee! still it's a gesture I guess and I didn't have to ask.
I'll let you know what happens next at the time, but meantime if anyone has ever tried to get the sensor off an old GT screen I'd be interested in the results

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The saga rumbles on. They came for the third attempt to replace the screen. They had Given my local Alfa Dealer the Vin No. of the car and were supposed to receive a screen from them first thing in the morning but it didn't arrive so Nat Winscreen went to fetch it from D*****ds ( if you live near Peterborough you'll know who our Alfa dealer is and their general level of efficiency - they'd need a Vin to order you a wheel nut- ) anyway they claim that my Vin is a car with out auto wipers, though it clearly has them, and so they ordered the wrong screen, the Nat windscreen man picked up a screen with a sensor which turned out to be a 147 screen, the only GT screen available was once again one with no sensor. we had to wait for it to arrive and this time they fitted it anyway as the old screen was now so damaged as to be dangereous.
So I now have a new screen of the wrong spec and they are coming again next week to take it back out and put the correct one in ( I'll believe it when I see it ) watch this space. . .

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah, they don't have a clue.

I love that they ask the customer for a part number and get really huffy if God forbid they have to look something up for themselves!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I used National Windscreens instead of Autoglass (insurers preferred choice) who were a shambles - they starred on BBC "Watch Dog". I have the part numbers for a 156 if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've had similar issues with a 159 without a rain sensor. My problems centred around the screen surround and trying to reuse it
Took 5 appointments with Autotrash to fit a screen with the proper surround.

We got all of our excess back in the end so keep complaining

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a phone call from them today.
"we're having to have one imported from one from Italy" they told me they were having to absorb the cost of the wasted incorrect screen they had to fit on Monday (as they'd broken mine before checking the new one was correct) as if they were doing me a big favour!!!!
Needless to say this whole debacle is going to be forwarded to AVIVA and I'm going to ak for my excess back from them just to make sure National Windfart get another bollocking.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the word today. They're coming Monday with the correct screen ( they say ). Just arrived from sunny climes. What's the betting they forget to bring another set of surround trim.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Not taking that bet.....;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yay fixed!
But that was at 18:00 hrs in the evening when it was pretty dingy. Spoke too soon didn't I, next morning in the cold light of day I have a car with a correctly fitting windscreen. correct model, and black windscreen glue over the interior screen post trim!!!
That's never coming off is it!!

the Bast*rds. words do not describe how hacked off I am with these incompetent Tw*ts.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
no probs. :biglaugh:
there does seem to be an increase in uselessness with companies now.
i dont know if its just me getting old or what but people dont give a monkeys now about anything they do.
100% agree..

My 2016 has so far been a non-stop torrent of useless f**king companies failing to do their jobs properly...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts