Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just booked my bella in for a repair from autoglass, but got a phone call saying that so many are off sick, that it will be next Thursday before they come. Not too bothered about that coz it's only a chip, passenger side. I'll be there watching like a hawk because I've just polished and de-swirled the paintwork. I hope they're a decent bunch. I'm actually having an issue with my wipers at the moment - they were squeaking badly until I gave my screen a good clean with vinegar on Friday night, and cleaned the blades. Then I went out in the rain and they were screaming! Really did my loaf in. I think the glass was treated with something because rain bounced off it when I bought it a month ago, but now it's just smearing all over, and I could hardly see. So should I keep trying to get the stuff off a little at a time (I have 5 days before they come to do the repair), or will they have something to clean it off? Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've just had a replacment from autoglass. I was very impressed as they used AR branded pilkington glass and did a very good job in only 45 mins. The new screen is loads better, it's like having no glass! They'll tell you if there's anything up too :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I once had a windscreen repair on a Beemer, the guy had trouble as I'd used Rain-X on it and his resin or whatever did NOT want to stick to the glass at all! Try some decent glass cleaner yourself, I used lighter fuel, even Jif (Cif...) and anything else I could get my hands and it hardly helped at all! As for wipers, I had some Halfords ones that squeaked terribly. Bought some new Alfa ones from the Afa Workshop for around £18, not a squeak since, absolutely perfect and a HUGE improvement :thumbs:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, well there must be something on the glass, maybe rain-x or something like that, because when I wipe a sodden cloth (vinegar, water, cola,) over it, there are patches still that throw off the liquid and remain completely dry. These bits are where the wiper itself must have wiped it off. Also, I think the wipers are AR as I can see the script on the arm. I've been looking at some wipex flat blades with built-in spray bar, and had a chat with the guy at the online store. I saw he was advertising them as size 22/16"... however I told him I think it's wrong, and should be 22/19". A few posts on here helped me with that too. So, I'll keep wiping my screen and see if I can sort it, wait for the AG guy, then look at getting some new blades.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I put halfords blades on myOE wiper arms, so you might have the same combination on your car maybe?

I think I'd be tempted to contact Rain-X and ask what they'd recommend to get the stuff off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: the rain-x came of with some redex (actually tesco injector cleaner). i could see it lifting off, it wasn't too difficult.

The guy from AG came last week and said he wouldn't repair the glass as it had already been repaired. Fair enough, I wouldn't want it done if it couldn't be guaranteed. He said I could have a replacement, and the office would phone me. I only said yesterday, that they were taking a while phoning, and today another AG guy came, and I said I was surprised to see him. He was ready to replace the glass, so I asked him if it was OEM glass, or AR branded - no! Oh dear, I said, then I don't want it. I'd heard they supplied OEM if requested, but since nobody phoned me, I didn't speak to anyone to be able to request it. He said fine, it would be another week, and I'd probably have to make up the difference in cost! HA!! As if!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Update: the rain-x came of with some redex (actually tesco injector cleaner). i could see it lifting off, it wasn't too difficult.

The guy from AG came last week and said he wouldn't repair the glass as it had already been repaired. Fair enough, I wouldn't want it done if it couldn't be guaranteed. He said I could have a replacement, and the office would phone me. I only said yesterday, that they were taking a while phoning, and today another AG guy came, and I said I was surprised to see him. He was ready to replace the glass, so I asked him if it was OEM glass, or AR branded - no! Oh dear, I said, then I don't want it. I'd heard they supplied OEM if requested, but since nobody phoned me, I didn't speak to anyone to be able to request it. He said fine, it would be another week, and I'd probably have to make up the difference in cost! HA!! As if!!
Then what happened? did you get an OEM at the and? did you have to pay the difference? I have the same problem and still I can't find a good windscreen repairer that is offer me an OEM glass. Regards

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Autoglym "Fast Glass".......... Top stuff !!!!

Cheers to All
Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts