Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, it's my first post - was expecting to need some expert advice earlier than this. I'd prepared myself for the worst - reliability being an added bonus - but i've had 10k miles of a 147 at it's best! Brilliant!

I've come into my first annoying niggle now. I had the windscreen replaced 2 weeks back after a big stone chip, but it's not seemed quite right since. I'm convinced by the job as a whole - I was just wandering if anyone knows if the thin strip of rubber trim that sits between the glass and the plastic cowling over the wiper motor is supposed to be stuck to anything? The way it's sitting at the moment, there's a gap between it and the glass which doesn't seem quite right.

I've taken it back to the fitters once and they're trying their best to get out of sorting it, I was thinking if i can go along better informed next time they might be more helpful!

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
If I have it right, the plastic insert that goes around the whole of the glass, has a gap which does indeed look incorrect. However, studying later ones, this seems to have been altered. Is yours an earlier or later model Rab? My wife hasn't noticed it, and as it doesn't seem detrimental to the weatherproofing, have accepted it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The strip is called 'trim' and it appears to be there to weatherproof the windscreen but the real weatherproofing is done by the sealant that resides under the screen.
It usually has a slot to go around the edge of the screen, because the screen will start to delaminate over time and look untidy, and the trim covers this. Also there's a rubber lip that looks like a seal but is probably just there to make it look tidy and take up any unevenness in the gap thickness.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

Zulu Ferret: It's an 02 plate, so pre facelift. Were there big changes to screen? When i got that one done, they told me that they hated fitting screens in 147s because the glass was always too big!

Thinking about it, any water running down the glass would just run to the bottom of the glass and then fall of between the engine and the bulkhead, hopefully. So far it's not showing any signs of leaking water, although it hasn't really rained since then.

There's still a lot of creaking noises coming from it (possibly excessive cold recently?) and i wasn't too convinced by the rest of the job either so i'm still in half a mind to push for a refit.

The attached photo is one i took of the offside bottom corner of the glass after I took it back the first time - took me a while to work out where the extra wind noise was coming from!

Attachments

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Looks identical. If you push for it they may be able to make it a snugger fit by re-alignment. But since we had a screen fitted, there has been no problems with water leaks. Just doesn't look really tidy. zf

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I've got a leaky screen along the top edge. :(

There's also a patch along the right side where it sounds like the sealant isn't making a good seal and it sometimes makes a squelchy/squeaky noise, particularly after washing when it sounds like water has got into the seal. The noise can be really irritating unless the radio/CD is on.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Thanks for the help!

Zulu Ferret: It's an 02 plate, so pre facelift. Were there big changes to screen? When i got that one done, they told me that they hated fitting screens in 147s because the glass was always too big!

Thinking about it, any water running down the glass would just run to the bottom of the glass and then fall of between the engine and the bulkhead, hopefully. So far it's not showing any signs of leaking water, although it hasn't really rained since then.

There's still a lot of creaking noises coming from it (possibly excessive cold recently?) and i wasn't too convinced by the rest of the job either so i'm still in half a mind to push for a refit.

The attached photo is one i took of the offside bottom corner of the glass after I took it back the first time - took me a while to work out where the extra wind noise was coming from!

Thought I'd add some comments to this, even though it's a couple of months old, to answer some of the earlier questions.

1) The thin rubber trim between the plastic panels and the lower section of the windscreen should be attached to the plastic panel.
2) The gap visible in the picture is present because the corner of the plastic trim nearest the A-pillar is not seated correctly. There is a little undercut which mates with the Trim on the A-Pillar. At the moment it is sitting over the trim and not underneath it - hence the gap between seal and windscreen.

Not sure entirely what the point of the thin rubber trim is because it certainly doesn't stop a lot of the road dirt and gunk building up at the base of the windscreen (under the plastic part).

I suppose it does help divert some of the run-off water away from the bulkhead and tidies up the gap and flush condition between screen and plastic panel. Probably also stops vibration and rattles.

My rubber trim on the driver's side has seperated from the plastic part. I;'ve re-glued it on temporarily but plan to replace both o/s and n/s plastic pieces tomorrow as they are fairly sun bleached at scratched.

Hope this helps anyone who might read this after searching for info on the problem. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts