Alfa Romeo Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Early adoption often is a mistake, I'll not be offered an "upgrade" though, (hardware - although I still use a Canon scanner that hasn't been supported since Win. '97). So I'm waiting some time before trialling it on my "second" pc.
Early adoption is just bloody stupid. VMs and containers are our friends ... easy come, easy go and bugger-all risk to the fundamentals!

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,275 Posts
I was more than surprised to be offered a free upgrade to 11....even more surprised to find my old DELL is compatible!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I might install it on my Lumia 950XL... Although I still need to do the graphics driver upgrades. Maybe I'll just have to source another for about £40 which is cheap for a portable computer that is at least usable, so long as I don't want to store much else on it! I need to see how well it works with the SD card now.. Might be quicker with an external USB device or the wireless USB thingy I've been meaning to try out

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have been running Win11 on a brand new HP ProBook 440 G8 for the past month, only issue is that I get random dropouts when talking on Teams using WiFi. Other than that I have not experienced anything negative.

I do run Win10 on my primary laptop though and dont plan on making the Win11 my primary just yet.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I might install it on my Lumia 950XL... Although I still need to do the graphics driver upgrades. Maybe I'll just have to source another for about £40 which is cheap for a portable computer that is at least usable, so long as I don't want to store much else on it! I need to see how well it works with the SD card now.. Might be quicker with an external USB device or the wireless USB thingy I've been meaning to try out
I really don't know where you find the Lumias so cheap. They're silly money on eBay at the mo.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I really don't know where you find the Lumias so cheap. They're silly money on eBay at the mo.
ebay lol I'm not a regular e-bayer but I've now bought 2 cheap on there and a replacement glass (just need a heat gun now to test that one out!) to go with my original that I bought direct from MS (the one that finally broke the screen). Even bought a couple of clear "gel" cases that arrived yesterday, well, they were supposed to be free with the screen protectors but they forgot to put those in so I'm now waiting on those following afterwards before I go for a return. I do now have an alert for Lumias under £68 and have had a couple pop up i nearly bid on, but decided I have enough for now lol. There was one for about £40 (though I can't now find that). One in August I missed out on. I am naturally cautious on purchases, and in one case did some research on the company behind one first (Companies House and LinkedIn for starters). My last one came with a spare battery. You often find that the high-priced ones don't to too readily and the locked ones are usually easier to snag. Maybe it's just my timing is so good! I'd set myself up as a middle man but I don't know how easy it would be to do it and maintain a sensible cost!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I guess the biggest issue for you is shipping - This is available for under £50 (at time of typing) but they don't ship to the Republic...
Lumia 950XL
I was tempted (and meant to post about it) when ebay were offering 20% off... It's locked to EE but if that's not a deciding factor (wasn't for me on my first one at £41 inc postage) then it's not a bad price and appears in decent condition.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Well, if it's on EE and needs unlocking, it costs £9... Full details:
There is even a mention of 2nd hand phones...

I haven't actually ever unlocked a phone before (my original and one of the ebay ones are unlocked already - phones bought from Carphone Warehouse have always been unlocked as well). Most (all?) of the networks offer ways to unlock - I seem to recall O2 were free to unlock at some point.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts