Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Set 'em all up as dual boot Win and Linux ... worst case is they get an extension of life/utility that way. Then again that is not to everyones' taste. But has worked exceedingly well for me.
I've done similar in the last year... Old PC of mine that came with XP is in a friend's office, very much serviceable, running Ubuntu. Managed a few Zoom meetings with it too!

Reactions: ronan

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I've done similar in the last year... Old PC of mine that came with XP is in a friend's office, very much serviceable, running Ubuntu. Managed a few Zoom meetings with it too!
First class! I have a drawer full of similar anecdotes. I absolutely hate having a device obsoleted intentionally ...

Linux is not without the odd speedbump, but truly, I have not had many of those.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Would never go back to Windows....much to both my sons annoyance....even though they are glued to their Android phones.
They always poo poo Linux ....wait until I tell them Android is Linux based.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Just used the Microsoft PC Health Check and find that my 30 month old, bottom of the range, HP - 15-da0503sa 15.6" Intel® Celeron® Laptop - 1 TB HDD, is suitable for Windows 11 :eek::unsure:

Not sure there is any advantage for me. I don't stream films, play games or use zoom. Basically I use it for email, spreadsheets and browsing various fora and some internet shopping and paying bills. Nothing that Windows 10 cannot manage perfectly adequately.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Im not to bothered about all the windows 11 shenanigans, if W10 is getting support till 2025, we might just see a situation where they come to their senses about most of the sillyness introduced in W11 and introduce W12 just in time for all the people still on W10. Recent history suggests that every other version of windows sucks (Me, Vista, 8/8.1), so i have no problems skipping 11 for now.

As for linux, i used to be 100% linux, but gaming has brought me back to windows these days, even my work setup is now 100% windows (sadly), on an idealogical front, and when it comes to stuff like telemetry and forced features, i pretty much loathe windows, but if you want a no-hassle gaming setup, where you dont have to actively scout out if a game works with which version of proton etc... windows is still the way to go.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Recent history suggests that every other version of windows sucks (Me, Vista, 8/8.1), so i have no problems skipping 11 for now.
Windows 8, and Windows phone, were Microsoft’s Fiat Multipla moment. They put some real effort into reimagining their product offerings. It was the rejection of the Metro interface by 90% of their user base that killed it, “where’s the Start button?!” Perhaps it wasn’t for everyone, it could certainly get a bit tedious if you tried to navigate with a mouse, but we still have Metro on a couple of servers and I honestly don’t give it a second thought.

The operating system itself was quick and stable. I liked the phones too, great value for money and personally I preferred the interface to any Android or iOS device I’ve used. If they’d stuck with it I would never have switched to Apple.

Yes, Windows 8 was a flop. But it was a decent operating system, just unpopular.

·
Registered
953 Posts
@FE55A Agreed, Win 8 presumably just built upon the very solid core that was windows 7, they totally flubbed the UI. (and honestly, why the hell would i want a tablet oriented UI on my traditional PC?)

The phones, i never had one, as the app store never achieved critical mass for me (my bank didnt even bother with putting an app out for it), but seeing what kind of performance they wrung out very modest specs compared to android was very interesting.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I still have a 950XL and didn't really miss the apps. Although I use them on my Android, I would give them up - convenient at times but none really set my world alight. I'm going to use my old phone as a sat nav and in-car ELM display I think, though it also doubles up as a spare handset and I could look at installing Windows 10 on it (I got my old Lumia 920 onto an early release of Windows Mobile and that was ok (just boot up that was slow).

·
Registered
953 Posts
@AmicusPro im not too picky about apps these days, but i cant imagine going without banking apps, i cant imagine having to be near an actual PC to check my balance or move some money from one account to the other if needed.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That's fine if you're running a desktop, less fine if it's a laptop. Now a reasonably recent laptop should have a TPM chip but unless it's very new it'll be version 1.2 rather than 2.0, which Microsoft is still insisting on (at least, most of Microsoft seems to be insisting on, depending on what article or blog you read). In any case Microsoft are insisting on 8th generation processors which are also really quite recent.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That's fine if you're running a desktop, less fine if it's a laptop. Now a reasonably recent laptop should have a TPM chip but unless it's very new it'll be version 1.2 rather than 2.0, which Microsoft is still insisting on (at least, most of Microsoft seems to be insisting on, depending on what article or blog you read). In any case Microsoft are insisting on 8th generation processors which are also really quite recent.
8th gen is 3 years old by now, and windows 10 will be supported until 2025, so unless you bought a 7th gen when 8th was out (which given the massive jump between 7 and 8 would have been a bad idea regardless), the youngest system which wont get W11 support will be 8-9 ish years old by the time W10 goes EOL.

Honestly, i think the biggest impact of all this TPM non-sense will be that dual booting with W11 wont be an option, which seems like a dick move.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
8th gen is 3 years old by now, and windows 10 will be supported until 2025, so unless you bought a 7th gen when 8th was out (which given the massive jump between 7 and 8 would have been a bad idea regardless), the youngest system which wont get W11 support will be 8-9 ish years old by the time W10 goes EOL.
That's fine if you buy sh*tty landfill machines every few years. I tend to buy high specced machines in the understanding that they'll still be useful in 10 or more years' time. I hate throwing away stuff that works fine.
Honestly, i think the biggest impact of all this TPM non-sense will be that dual booting with W11 wont be an option, which seems like a dick move.
Less of a problem for most users.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That's fine if you buy sh*tty landfill machines every few years. I tend to buy high specced machines in the understanding that they'll still be useful in 10 or more years' time. I hate throwing away stuff that works fine.
More or less my approach - a good one!

True enough. And if you have enough horsepower in there, easy enough to run a VM on top of whatever your base OS is. I run Linux on all my computers ... and the dev device has Win10 Professional running in a VM for when I need to dip into Visual Studio or PowerBI. Works for me.

But you're quite correct that for most people, dual booting is not even close to being a consideration.

·
Registered
953 Posts

i wouldnt call 8 years of lifespan landfill-spec. I tend to buy higher spec stuff myself, or at least move my old hardware along by the time i upgrade.

Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff are you running now? Generally speaking i do like to play some games, so going a decade on a system isnt feasible for me, and spending high end money for basic usage seems foolish just the same

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
i wouldnt call 8 years of lifespan landfill-spec. I tend to buy higher spec stuff myself, or at least move my old hardware along by the time i upgrade.

Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff are you running now? Generally speaking i do like to play some games, so going a decade on a system isnt feasible for me, and spending high end money for basic usage seems foolish just the same
I bought two identical ASUS laptops, one for my mother and one for my wife in 2013 (I now have my mother's back as she is no longer able to use it). They have third generation i7 4 core, 8 thread processors, 8GB RAM, USB 3.0, Blu-ray, full HD display and discrete Nvidia GT 635M graphics. They have Bang & Olufsen audio with a plug-in external speaker pod which sounds really good. I replaced the HDDs with 500GB SSDs. They're beautiful machines and still quick by modern standards, even for casual gaming. They'll still be beautiful and capable machines when Windows 10 support runs out in 2025.

I also have 2015 Lenovo Yoga. It has a fifth generation i5 2 core, 4 thread processor, 8GB RAM, USB 3.0 and full HD touchscreen. I upgraded the SSD to 500GB. It's the only machine I took when I was stranded in England and it managed VMs, full development environments etc. with ease. I love the thing. This too will still be a capable machine in 2025.

I've an 8 year old BRIX i3 with 8GB which I use for Windows File History and also the odd Windows dev work. It's still a fine machine.

·
Registered
953 Posts
@ronan then i better not tell you about my laptop, Ryzen 5 5500u (6 core, 12 threads up to 4.0 GHz) with 16gb of 3200 mhz DDR4, in a compact 14 inch chassis. In cinebench it slams my ryzen 2600 desktop in single threaded by 15%, and multicore it does quite decent as well.

@Paddy OPlastic Those are decent machines, but 8gb and GT635m is pretty worthless for casual gaming, unless you mean playing facebook games. My previous laptop with a better GPU was pretty much maxed playing world of tanks on minimum settings at 1080p, and those F2P games tend to be pretty well optimised for lower end hardware. Id also argue that unless you are literally only doing web browsing/officer stuff, 8gb is getting a tad small, and wont be getting better in 2025 (to add, its pretty criminal that shops still sell 4gb machines these days, with windows 10, those are pretty much single browser, single tab machines). Also, that CPU, while quite capable, will also lag behind more and more, all the intel security patches dealing with speculative execution leaks arent helping, and by 2025 your basic 5w smartphone chip will run rings around it, while the i7 uses 45-65w

To be clear, if you up the memory to 16gb if needed, and dont expect miracles, those machines will indeed last till 2025, but i sort of question the wisdom of the strategy. Those things must have cost a fortune, and im willing to bet that if you were to split the lifespan in two, you would be done for less money in total, and while the first laptop would indeed be slower, the second laptop 6 years down the line will clobber the 6 year old high end machine.

As for the yoga, ill gladly believe you, but at my last job i NEEDED 32gb of ram to be able to do my job efficiently, we were restricted to devving in a VM, and running the setup with 16gb of total ram meant that every time i needed to use my SQL client i had to kill eclipse, or everything would grind to a halt as the VM hit swap (on a spinning rust drive...), devoting more hardware memory to the VM would mean opening outlook and some office app at the same time would cause the same problem...

21 - 40 of 71 Posts