1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows 10 on my Asus convertible is taking up
50Gbytes on a 64Gbyte SSD.

The culprit is C:/Windows/Installer

Which has 19.7Gbytes of .msi & .msp files.

How to clean this O/S install guff off safely??

Ta.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not helping.

Currently running PatchCleaner. Which appears to
be a piece of Australian software. Cobber.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
I binned windows 10 after 20 minutes, my touchpad stopped working and there was no fix available online so back to 7 it was.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Windows 10 on my Asus convertible is taking up
50Gbytes on a 64Gbyte SSD.

The culprit is C:/Windows/Installer

Which has 19.7Gbytes of .msi & .msp files.

How to clean this O/S install guff off safely??

Ta.
This not not likely easily achievable. The .msi files are referenced when the system tries to update the O/S. If they are not cached within the parent O/S drive, then this could risk causing serious problems when Windows gives you no choice but to update the system. :rolleyes:

This highlights the problem with onboard SSD storage. Even gaming systems have a small amount of storage, mine is 250 GB and Windows dominates the SSD. Beyond this, it moans when there is less than 25% of the SSD remaining to us. :irked:

Even worse is the fact that the OS cannot seem to be switched from the SSD to a slave hard disk drive because of the boot order in many Windows 8/10 systems. The HDD is often hidden from the BIOS behind the SSD! This was a problem I ran into when I tried to dual boot my system.

I'm sure there is a way of swapping the system onto the HDD (assuming you have one), but I'm not really that acrobatic with BIOS.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Type "storage" into the Windows search box (I guess "stockage" in frog) and select "Storage System settings". Click/prod your SSD device. This will bring up your storage usage. Go down and click/poke "Temporary files". Click/jab "Delete temporary files" and "Delete previous versions" (towards the bottom).

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
That would solve my curiosity regarding why W10 is using so much space in the first place (nominal is ~20GB).

That is of course if you are ready to stay with it and not revert to W8 for some reason. :paranoid:

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
The Windows updates also go into "previous versions" so it gets bigger and bigger over time.

I quite like Windows 10 - the first version I've liked since W2K.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Don't use a touchscreen or switch it to tablet mode.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now the micoSD card that's worked perfectly
under Win 8/.1 is giving errors.

Useless O/S!

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I blame the EU.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Interesting. I have a Linx W10 tablet that only has 32gb I think and it works very nicely as either a tablet or a laptop has a removable keyboard. Some programs aren't touch screen friendly and W10 ships with a fair bit of crap but overall it's ok. Far better than W8.

My W10 annoyances are:
VPN access but have found a brilliant workaround for that.
The fact that Settings is frequently insufficient and actually Control Panel is often still required.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts