Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes,

I've persevered with the bas*ard but I just don't like it. :D Additionally some older applications and games that used to work on Windows-XP now don't (although I didn't try them all on Win-7 to be honest, so the "not working" could be a 64 bit issue generally).

I can't back it out, since the uninstall period has expired, so I'm considering re-installing Windows-7 which is recognizable to me, doesn't hog 98% of my PC's resources.. doesn't pop up Cortana unexpectedly.. :D and in particular might allow my older app's to work.

Is this a re-install of Windows/lose the hard drive contents? Or does Windows behave sensibly and just over-write their own rubbish? I'll try to get hold of a pukka Win-7 DVD and MS install code (my PC came with Win-& but no disc or codes, unfortunately).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
Wrong. FACT!

If you're running it on a machine designed for XP then it isn't surprising that your experience isn't good. Win 10 handles resources better than 7 so installing that probably won't help and may make things worse.

Did you try running your non-functional programs in compatibility mode?

I'm no Windows fan but 10 is so much better than any previous version.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Got Ubuntu running on an Intel Stick.

This thread has inspired me to revert the Asus Vivobook back to 8.1Pro.

Got the lics for Windows and Office, got the Asus driver pack.
Scrubbed the partitions and it's off...!

If this fails I'm blaming Po'P. :tut:

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
If this fails I'm blaming Po'P. :tut:
:eek:

Seriously though, I don't understand the resistance to 10. 8 and 8.1 were pretty hard to use without a touch screen unless you restored the start menu functionality with a third-party utility. Otherwise it was much better than 7 if you could get your head around the settings/control panel schizophrenia. You can do more in the 10 settings even though the conversion isn't complete.

I hate the look of 7 and the file manager and the way it pauses for no reason and just about everything else when I'm unfortunate enough to have to use it.

Additionally 10 offers the Ubuntu subsystem which makes it a viable substitute for my dev machine when on the move.

·
Registered
788 Posts
10 Sucks in many ways. Its the perfect example of taking away our freedom of choice and took a step too close to the way apple want to have control over how we use our tech. The only and single only good thing is that it boots up quickly.

Ill start a list of things that suck about W10. Feel free to add to it.

1. Automatic updates cant be turned off resulting in taking up bandwidth when I dont want it to. Yes I know there are work around for certain versions and also cheats like metered connection, but it still checks for them in the back ground.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
8.1PRO is back up and currently downloading updates.

You're off the hook, Po'p. ;)

8.1 also has media center which is nice. If I can find i

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
10 Sucks in many ways. Its the perfect example of taking away our freedom of choice and took a step too close to the way apple want to have control over how we use our tech. The only and single only good thing is that it boots up quickly.

Ill start a list of things that suck about W10. Feel free to add to it.

1. Automatic updates cant be turned off resulting in taking up bandwidth when I dont want it to. Yes I know there are work around for certain versions and also cheats like metered connection, but it still checks for them in the back ground.
I'd argue that the default update policy is desirable for consumer versions of Windows - a lot of people who probably wouldn't update their system on their own. I believe the pro versions and above do allow a policy change.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yep, 10 Pro lets you control the updates.
You can 'control' them but you dont have total control. You can defer them for a period but after that period they will without choice be installed. Thats not great seeing some updates dont actually work and its only until we the guinea pigs for microsoft discover they dont work will they be fixed. I'd rather wait and install them when I choose and after I know they dont have an issue. Also in all version you cant stop it checking for updates, so thats happening in the background using up valuable bandwidth, memory and CPU power. You can choose a window when they are installed but if you turn your computer off they will be installed when you turn it back on meaning you have to wait 10 minutes while it does that so thoughtfully for you.

I get the argument that for your average user then it helps to keep them safe, but what about people with an ounce of common sense a little bit of computing knowledge and most importantly the desire to have freedom of choice? then forced updates just dont cut it.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
10 is ghastly. I’d have stuck with 7 if at all possible.

10 is about as reliable as 7 from a user perspective. It’s stable enough. It runs surprisingly well on very average hardware.

The problem is the crap-ware that comes with it. No, I don’t want bloody Groove music. I wish Cortana would **** off back into the hole she came from. Tiles? Eff Off. The problem is that you can spend time getting it how you want it, and then every damn update Microsoft override what you’ve done. It’s an advertising platform, done badly.

I have actually managed to kill Cortana permanently I think. Hasn’t come back for three months.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can 'control' them but you dont have total control. You can defer them for a period but after that period they will without choice be installed. Thats not great seeing some updates dont actually work and its only until we the guinea pigs for microsoft discover they dont work will they be fixed. I'd rather wait and install them when I choose and after I know they dont have an issue. Also in all version you cant stop it checking for updates, so thats happening in the background using up valuable bandwidth, memory and CPU power. You can choose a window when they are installed but if you turn your computer off they will be installed when you turn it back on meaning you have to wait 10 minutes while it does that so thoughtfully for you.

I get the argument that for your average user then it helps to keep them safe, but what about people with an ounce of common sense a little bit of computing knowledge and most importantly the desire to have freedom of choice? then forced updates just dont cut it.
So, same as Apple then.

My missis is on the beta version of every Windoze update as part of her job. Trust me, we end users don't see half the problems that get punted out in the pre-release versions.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
10 is ghastly. I’d have stuck with 7 if at all possible.

10 is about as reliable as 7 from a user perspective. It’s stable enough. It runs surprisingly well on very average hardware.

The problem is the crap-ware that comes with it. No, I don’t want bloody Groove music. I wish Cortana would **** off back into the hole she came from. Tiles? Eff Off. The problem is that you can spend time getting it how you want it, and then every damn update Microsoft override what you’ve done. It’s an advertising platform, done badly.
^ This, exactly this.

The level of confusion it creates for people who are competent users of Word and email but have no technical understanding is just appalling. Things happen, stuff pops up, you're invited to click on things - how are they to know what's safe and what isn't?

The updates cause you to black screen (happened to me, happened to two people I try to support), they grind everything to a halt (on brand new PCs).

Converting to a new system should be easy, but Microsoft said some years back they would prioritise innovation above backward compatibility and boy, have they done that. Their less expert users are no longer supported. (And don't get me started on Office 2016... no Outlook unless you buy an annual licence. Aaaargh!).

1 - 20 of 92 Posts