Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have recently purchased an Alfa 156 V6 2007 series for my wife, it's a beautiful car, but the windscreen wipers and washer just stops all of a sudden, then starts again?

I think it could be the relay, or maybe the switch on the steering column.? I have disconnected the battery and done the full overnight, 90seconds on Mar then off for 90seconds, start and idle for 15minutes, the motor
is or feels much better, the wipers worked for a day. Then back to whenever they want to work, like a ghost in the machine?

Has anyone experienced this? I'm at my wits end with this one. Lol.....

Cheers,

Chuck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hard to know exactly what you mean. I have not faced the same problem as you.

Do you pull back on the wiper stick to activate wash function but it only sprays water for a small period of time? Blocked nozzles, low water in washer tank, washer pump motor not quite working well? If you have headlamp washer jets turn the lights on and see if they wash as well. You should be able to test the washer pump with a battery. They are reasonably easy to access from what I remember. If you have headlamp washers you might be able to swap over the pumps.

Or are you driving along touching nothing and all of a sudden the wipers start? The wipers could be on auto mode.
Might be a dirty sensor for the auto wipers, or dirty windscreen.

Not sure where the relays are off by hand, check your manual if you have one. If you don't I can check mine and post a photo. There are photos of the manual on the internet as well. There is also information on the auto wiper function, but I find parts of the manual difficult to understand and well, poorly written and layed out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,
Thank you for your help and reply, My Alfa is the 2007 156 V6 auto series, no headlamp washers. I will check the auto mode, they work well when they are going, the jets are clean and spray well, all speeds, interval mode etc works fine. When it stops, I lose all functions, no spray or wiper movement, they stop in the middle of the windscreen which is quite embarrassing. Lol.. I don't have a worksop manual, but do have the manual that came with the car, I will have a look at that today. I'll get out the compressor, I will give the sensor a clean.
I will let you know how I go. Thanks again :)

Cheers,
Chuck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well if they stop halfway in the windscreen I would think it is an electrical connection problem or something along those lines. A quick search reveals that there can be problems with the wiper motors in the 156.

Here is a link that I found which at least tells you how to remove the wiper scuttle plate to have access to the motor for inspection, repair or replacement. Have some electrical contact cleaner handy if you end up cleaning contacts, plugs or PCB's. Make sure it is disconnected before spraying. When you are in there you might as well clean up the area of any leaves and soil that has accumulated over the years and have a look for any rust, although unlikely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate it mate, I'll get onto it today. Hoping for it to be dirty contacts on the motor where the 2 prongs make contact.
Will let you know how I go.
Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Milke,

A very late replt and update, I have gone through all the suggested methods to no avail, I believe it my be the relay, since Covid19 it's been very hard to find someone who knows Alfas here in Aust to assist me. So, for the meantime we are just going to put up with this issue, they haven't changed, stop-start whenever, and when they stop, I lose all functions, no water spray etc.

I have the patience on a Crocodile.. Lol.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts