Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People. Few months ago I purchased my very first Alfa and opted with the 1.9 JTD GT and I absolutely love it.
I do have a problem with the windows tho. Long story short, the drivers window was stuck in the down position so I stripped the door panel to if a few wiggles would work.. It never! My neighbour did have a tool though which could test the circuit and managed to get the window back up.
I done a bit of research and done the basic quick tests, and replaced a battery as it was still under warranty and a kwik fit test read that it needed replacing. Still no joy with the window going back unless you use this tester tool of my neighbours... Hmmm.
Shortly after the starter motor failed, replaced that and brilliant, we're back on the road. I noticed today though that the passenger window failed to work at all (was working fine before) with the passenger side switch but is fine on the drivers side switch.
Both windows drop/raise the usual inch or so when you open/close the door and I am baffled. Is there a fuse to control this or should I replace driver and passenger switches? Also, will any other Alfa model fit the gt? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ben

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi People. Few months ago I purchased my very first Alfa and opted with the 1.9 JTD GT and I absolutely love it.
I do have a problem with the windows tho. Long story short, the drivers window was stuck in the down position so I stripped the door panel to if a few wiggles would work.. It never! My neighbour did have a tool though which could test the circuit and managed to get the window back up.
I done a bit of research and done the basic quick tests, and replaced a battery as it was still under warranty and a kwik fit test read that it needed replacing. Still no joy with the window going back unless you use this tester tool of my neighbours... Hmmm.
Shortly after the starter motor failed, replaced that and brilliant, we're back on the road. I noticed today though that the passenger window failed to work at all (was working fine before) with the passenger side switch but is fine on the drivers side switch.
Both windows drop/raise the usual inch or so when you open/close the door and I am baffled. Is there a fuse to control this or should I replace driver and passenger switches? Also, will any other Alfa model fit the gt? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ben

both driver and passenger side have a window control unit in the lower left side of the door as you look at it from the inside of the car, they do go bad and I have now replaced both sides after intermittent and then permanent failure of the stepping function and then window control, its worth trying a soft re-set of the modules which is done by holding the switch in the fully up and then fully down positions for ten seconds on each window.

if this does not work then the next step is to remove and clean the faulty WCU and the window switch's, have a look at the connectors and see if there is any rust inside fouling contact, switch cleaner is the best thing to use..

WARNING ! dis-connect the battery when doing any work on the switches or the WCU as the switches are CANBUS nodes and it can cause problems, give it a good 15 mins to let the capacitors drain and then go ahead and clean most of the time it won't cause issues but I was unlucky and blew the NS WCU whe working on the OS i now just dis-connect as a matter of course.

while the door card is off look for any obvious points of water ingress and moisture as more often that not this will be the reason for your problems.

if the switches are at fault you will likely need proxy alignment when you fit ''new ones'' as they are coded to the ECU and you will have blinking odometer .

sometimes it just works though so try it before paying out for someone to do the proxy..

if you need new WCU's or door switches give autolusso,solo italia, alfa workshop, a shout they will likely have what you need, bear in mind a ne sindow switch will be about £90 and then £40 for proxy so if you can get around it by cleaning the ones you have well worth a crack..

good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. The latest news is that after I fitted the new starter motor, I tried the drivers window in the up position and I could hear the motor working. I took the gamble and opened it and was surprised that the window is now working absolutely fine. I can only assume it has something to do with the battery?
The passenger side but is lit up but no beeping when in the down or up position but continues to work from the drivers side switch. I have tried the soft reset on the passenger side switch but I am going to disconnect the battery for an hour and see if this works. As mentioned already, the passenger window was working fine before I fitted new starter.
Will post again this afternoon.
Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts