Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first post being new to the Alfa Forum. I have used this forum many times and have found it so useful. So thanks to those that have all assisted me in the last few years.

My front passenger window collapsed a couple of days ago and did a search on the internet without finding much as much information as I would have liked.

I removed the door card and found the the white butterfly clip lying at the bottom of the door. I didnt realise that these window regulators are pre-tensioned, so putting it back together is virtually impossible unless you are superman! I removed the unit from the door and after inspecting it, realised that my window had collapsed because one of the cables had got caught in the gears within the spool. So even after getting this free, the cables were kinked and without proper tension, its pretty useless and you will have to replace it. In the short term, you can put it back together to keep your window in place until you find a replacement set.

I picked up a new regulator for around R750 or 60 pounds and if you know what how to install it, it shouldnt take you more than an hour for the whole job.

New Window Regulator
IMG_0377.jpg

The regulator is basically made up of a track, with a white nylon wheel at either end, a butterfly clip attached to the track (your window will move up and down this track), an electric motor connected to the butterfly clip by two independant cables within a spool. As I mentioned earlier, this is sold as a complete unit and under the proper tension, so if yours comes apart, theres no real way to re-assemble it properly.

Start by removing your door card. Mine had a fastner in the door light, another three along the bottom of the door and three hidden fastners. To locate the first two - you will need to prise open the plastic covers on the door handle and in the door opener.

IMG_0381.jpg

The third is located inside the door - you'll need to remove the window switch control to access it. Unclip the door opener and tweeter assy. Disconnect the cables.

IMG_0382.jpg

Once all the fasteners have been removed, give the door card a decent tug and it should unclip from the plugs. Be careful not to twist the door card as you will damage the plugs. You'll want to re-use these again. Lift your door light bulb out of its housing to prevent any damage when removing the door card. Lift the door card out and remove your window.

IMG_0383.jpg

The Window regulator motor is held in place by three nuts which you'll need undo. The track is held in place by another 2 nuts. Remove these and the unit will loosen. Disconnect the electrical connection to the electric motor on the regulator. Remove the entire unit from the door. Replacing the unit and getting it inside the door is an interesting task. Youll have to slide it in sideways, track first and ease the motor through the hole above where the motor is supposed to be mounted. Be careful here, you dont want to damage the new regulator.

IMG_0389.jpg

Re-attach the window regulator to the door and remember to reconnect the electric connection to the electic motor. At this stage - connect the elecrtic window switch to test that the unit works and the butterfly clip move up and down. Getting the window back on to the butterfly clip and in the correct place is the hardest part of the entire job. I had to move the butterfly clip into the lowest position and my wife helped me manually manoeuver the window into place while I re-attached the butterfly clip. The window has a hole in the bottom, where a protrusion on the clip passes through. Once you have this through, lock it into place. I have taken a photo of this, but it may not be so clear.

IMG_0393.jpg

You should now have a properly working electric window. Fantastic. Re-attach the door card and electrical connections and you're done. The job took me just under an hour and I am no mechanic. Saved me around R950 or 73 pounds in labour. Nice! Have a beer as a reward.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,447 Posts
I've added this to the How to thread :thumbs:

Reactions: nisaar

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brilliant post mate. You just saved me a lot of money. Got my new track from a wrecked 147 for £20 and fitted it in less than an hour. Great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is NOT a GT JTS, window mechanism !!

So this is my first post being new to the Alfa Forum. I have used this forum many times and have found it so useful. So thanks to those that have all assisted me in the last few years.

My front passenger window collapsed a couple of days ago and did a search on the internet without finding much as much information as I would have liked.

I removed the door card and found the the white butterfly clip lying at the bottom of the door. I didnt realise that these window regulators are pre-tensioned, so putting it back together is virtually impossible unless you are superman! I removed the unit from the door and after inspecting it, realised that my window had collapsed because one of the cables had got caught in the gears within the spool. So even after getting this free, the cables were kinked and without proper tension, its pretty useless and you will have to replace it. In the short term, you can put it back together to keep your window in place until you find a replacement set.

I picked up a new regulator for around R750 or 60 pounds and if you know what how to install it, it shouldnt take you more than an hour for the whole job.

New Window Regulator
View attachment 138940

The regulator is basically made up of a track, with a white nylon wheel at either end, a butterfly clip attached to the track (your window will move up and down this track), an electric motor connected to the butterfly clip by two independant cables within a spool. As I mentioned earlier, this is sold as a complete unit and under the proper tension, so if yours comes apart, theres no real way to re-assemble it properly.

Start by removing your door card. Mine had a fastner in the door light, another three along the bottom of the door and three hidden fastners. To locate the first two - you will need to prise open the plastic covers on the door handle and in the door opener.

View attachment 138942

The third is located inside the door - you'll need to remove the window switch control to access it. Unclip the door opener and tweeter assy. Disconnect the cables.

View attachment 138943

Once all the fasteners have been removed, give the door card a decent tug and it should unclip from the plugs. Be careful not to twist the door card as you will damage the plugs. You'll want to re-use these again. Lift your door light bulb out of its housing to prevent any damage when removing the door card. Lift the door card out and remove your window.

View attachment 138944

The Window regulator motor is held in place by three nuts which you'll need undo. The track is held in place by another 2 nuts. Remove these and the unit will loosen. Disconnect the electrical connection to the electric motor on the regulator. Remove the entire unit from the door. Replacing the unit and getting it inside the door is an interesting task. Youll have to slide it in sideways, track first and ease the motor through the hole above where the motor is supposed to be mounted. Be careful here, you dont want to damage the new regulator.

View attachment 138946

Re-attach the window regulator to the door and remember to reconnect the electric connection to the electic motor. At this stage - connect the elecrtic window switch to test that the unit works and the butterfly clip move up and down. Getting the window back on to the butterfly clip and in the correct place is the hardest part of the entire job. I had to move the butterfly clip into the lowest position and my wife helped me manually manoeuver the window into place while I re-attached the butterfly clip. The window has a hole in the bottom, where a protrusion on the clip passes through. Once you have this through, lock it into place. I have taken a photo of this, but it may not be so clear.

View attachment 138947

You should now have a properly working electric window. Fantastic. Re-attach the door card and electrical connections and you're done. The job took me just under an hour and I am no mechanic. Saved me around R950 or 73 pounds in labour. Nice! Have a beer as a reward.
I Don't know why/how got directed to this post for a 'GT JTS' as this is 'NOT' a 'GT JTS' Window Mechanism, I wish it was that easy, its a little more involved, but 'yes good post', wrong model ! http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/paperbag.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Don't know why/how got directed to this post for a 'GT JTS' as this is 'NOT' a 'GT JTS' Window Mechanism, I wish it was that easy, its a little more involved, but 'yes good post', wrong model ! http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/paperbag.gif
Brilliant post! Thanks for the top tips and photos. This worked a treat and saved a shed loads of cash, thank you. My only experience I can add is at the end fixing the window onto the white plastic moving body bit. I shuved the window half way down and slowly inched the plastic moving body and punching the window outwards blipped plastic body up until it slipped into the window hole. You have to be careful not to dislodge the rubber grommet the is in the window hole.
Chuffed to bits to fix this awkward job.

·
Registered
1 Posts

New Window Regulator
View attachment 138940

View attachment 138942

View attachment 138943

View attachment 138944

View attachment 138946

View attachment 138947

Yo dude I'm sitting with this problem now I cant find the gromets in cape town dont know where to look cause nobody knows feels like I'm the only alfa driver in my suburb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts