Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Mitoisti,
I had that horrible grinding crackling noise coming from the drivers door when the window was being opened today, then the window would only go up a 1/4 of the way until it stopped and went down again.
On inspection after removing the door trim ,handles, electric connectors for the mirrors windows & door light and removing the cable for the door handle to operate the latch. it was plain to see the window winding mechanism was jammed solid.I had to remove the motor and regulator assembly then undo the 3 screws to gain access to the cables once removed the was the sight of mangled cables.Now I could move the window by hand to the closed position, I cut 2 lengths of timber 40 x15 section and jammed them in the door to support the glass as a temporary measure to make the car secure, and open and shut the door carefully to clear the trim as the glass doesn't drop.
I hate electric windows, every car I have had with these things fitted they have all done the same thing the winding mechanism packs up and always in the down position.
I wish that they were an option when buying the car, and could be retro fitted.
Has anyone else had the same problem ? if so how much was the repair, as this looks like a main stealer job.:mad:

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I take it your car is out of warranty then?

I'm nervous about electric windows - Had a Mark V Ford Fiesta that had the electric window simply fall in to the door as the mechanism completely failed. What worries me most about the MiTo is the fact that the mechanism is in constant use as the damn window has to drop/rise every time the bloody door is opened.

Frameless windows look stunning, but I think I'd rather have a window frame!

·
Registered
573 Posts
you sound like you're quite unlucky omega man - never heard of anyone i know's electric windows packing up quite like that.

the mito is the first car i have had with frameless windows, second with electric, but my dad has had a few frameless ones over the years with no problems. take comfort Ali C thatit's not exactly new technology for the mito.

still suppose it is just another thing to go wrong. - for one don't see the point of many over-complicated and pointless technologies such as automatic windscreen wipers and headlights.

although that said, tbh the worrying number of people who drive around without headlights on is alarming - they need them! automatically unfolding wingmirrors i'd like to see too - again due to the alarming number of people who drive about with them folded in.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it your car is out of warranty then?

I'm nervous about electric windows - Had a Mark V Ford Fiesta that had the electric window simply fall in to the door as the mechanism completely failed. What worries me most about the MiTo is the fact that the mechanism is in constant use as the damn window has to drop/rise every time the bloody door is opened.

Frameless windows look stunning, but I think I'd rather have a window frame!
The car is a 59 plate,which I bought second hand from a SEAT dealer last july, so I have had it over 12 mths, I might go to Guests and see what they can do,as it is under 3 yrs old, mind you I think the car was originally purchased from Budgens as that is what is on the keyfob. I don't really know where I stand with regards warranty claims.
I think this is a catastrophic failure of a part way before its natural life, as the car has only done 29k, at least I managed 48 k from my old clio before the same thing went, ans in my Ibiza both went at around 50k and 85k.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
The mechanism might have had abuse from the icy weather we had last year. You never know, some people have tried to open their doors that have been iced up and the window hasn't been able to drop.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
We had one that kept blowing the fuse at the most awkward moment, finally relented and I had it replaced!

Get the 3rd year warranty transferred to yourself for about £35.00 and book it into a main dealer - there is a form to fill out in the warranty book.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had one that kept blowing the fuse at the most awkward moment, finally relented and I had it replaced!

Get the 3rd year warranty transferred to yourself for about £35.00 and book it into a main dealer - there is a form to fill out in the warranty book.
I didn't need to do that CJ, I took it to Guests in Willenhall told them the problem, they promptly ordered the part on tuesday, and fitted it this morning while I waited in the showroom and they even gave the car a clean too all FOC as they put it down to a warranty issue, they also picked up a fault with the aircon unit that they are going to try to get sorted under warranty, now that is what I call service..:thumbs::thumbs::):D

·
Registered
784 Posts
My passenger window has stuck in the up position so I carnt open that door unless I force open and close it. Its booked into a local mechanic who is gonna look at it.

Both drivers and passenger window switch dont work so guess its a prob with the actual bits inside the door. So could it be a fuse, motor or and regulator?

If it is any of these or more than one how much am I gonna hear from him to fix it. Or hiw much should it be?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had a TT before the Mito and window regulator failure is standard fit:mad: That also had frameless doors and the mechanism is apparently the same as the Golf which doesnt. Faiure rate is much lower on the golf. Repair on the TT is around £200 - £250 fitted. The drivers one usually fails first so that would suggest its not through lack of use.
There is a guy on ebay who sells the cables made of higher quality steel, if you are brave enough to work out length and run of the cable.

·
Registered
784 Posts
well mechanic told me he took the door panel off, unpluged things, cleaned it all, re connected and was working fine. Went to pick it up, paid £80 and then just about to drive off and it wownt work, neither side.

So he said wen he is back he will have to order a new motor.

what a waste of money and time.

and now i also have filthy carpets in the passenger side :mad:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I picked up on this thread when searching for my Giulietta window problem
"I reset the anti pinch as per instructions. All seemed OK.
However this morning driving along the front passenger window wound down
by its self. I thought here we go again!
Got home winder wouldn't operate at all.
AND smoke from the door handle.
So have disconnected the battery checked fuses.
Still puzzled?
Think its the Alfa garage tomorrow either loose connection and or new winder assembly
Should be under warranty at 29months?"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quite a catastrophic failure with the passenger side window on the MiTo yesterday, wouldn't rise fully so tried and tried again until what sounded like the regulator falling off and crashing into the bottom of the door...
Will remove door card if it ever stops peeing down (garage full) and take a look.
Anyone had similar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quite a catastrophic failure with the passenger side window on the MiTo yesterday, wouldn't rise fully so tried and tried again unMy til what sounded like the regulator falling off and crashing into the bottom of the door...
Will remove door card if it ever stops peeing down (garage full) and take a look.
Anyone had similar?
My 2010 Mito has just started making a mangled cables sound and it wont move up or down, anyone got a price for a repair.
Thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
My 2010 Mito has just started making a mangled cables sound and it wont move up or down, anyone got a price for a repair.
Thanks
Can't really tell until you get the door card off.

If it's the regulator - the parts are about £80 IIRC + whatever labour it is to fit it (it's not a hard thing to DIY if you're semi-competent with a screwdriver).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts