Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight into how window regular handles should be fixed. I have a 2000 gtv 73 and whilst the drivers side window regulator handle works to wind down the window, when you try and wind the window back up it effectively unscrews itself. I am able to wind the window back up by physically pulling it up whilst gently turning the handle. any ideas welcome

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If its the same as the spider there is a tiny crosshead screw, which is supposed to hold the handle onto the splines (its not a great idea) hidden away in the round part of the handle- if that's loose or missing the handle will inevitability fall off when its used - if its not the same as the spider sorry, I cant help

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe, It's actually the spline (didn't know what it was called so thanks for that) that is unscrewing from the regulator. The handle was as you described and came off with a small screw. Can't really understand why this part would be a screw mechanism since the natural movement of this part is to wind (screw and unscrew)

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
when you say it unscrews, you mean it comes right off?...that is weird.

must be a problem in the regulator itself, in that it works going down as it has the weight of the glass helping it.....going back up the splines must be slipping (last photo here, this is a replacement type w/o the screw on handle: Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Window handle falls off)
or maybe the cable is slipping where it is held to the glass........either way you'll have to open the door and have a look see.

.....a real pita to change those cable driven regulators (apparently!): window regulator - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take some photos tomorrow, but essentially the spline looks like the one you linked, e.g. Bit like a long cog, at one end and then is a screw thread at the other. This goes into the regulator. As far as I can tell, nothing is slipping and the cable is fine (I have removed the door panel), it's just the fact that the spline's thread unscrews in the same direction as the winding up of the the window. My guess is that under normal usage the screw should be so tight that the action of winding a window would not undo it, however if you wanted to remove the spline it could be done with a greater force being exerted. It is just not clear how it would be tightened to this point in the first place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture showing the thread. Spoke to Classic Alfa and the guy said he thought they were normally spot welded.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Here's a picture showing the thread. Spoke to Classic Alfa and the guy said he thought they were normally spot welded.
never seen that....good photo!

maybe some loctite permanent thread lock (red 271) on the thread would do, if you don't weld...but a small spot weld would be best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts