Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Why is it such a surprise. Producing any energy comes at a cost.

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I, for one, am not surprised. The mentality is to make a living by making solutions to issues of any kind. It’s the irony of the carbon footprint of the things or simply taking the problem out of sight.

·
Registered
621 Posts

I live in Wales. The greedy politicians here held out their grubby hands for the related payments and plastered some of the most beautiful landscapes in Wales with 150m tall turbines. Hundreds and hundreds of them. Powys is smothered in them. Brechfa Forest....Clocaenog Forest. What happens when their 25 year lifespan is up? What happens to the millions of tonnes of concrete, waste and general decimation left behind?

I’ve been directly affected first-hand by these wretched white elephants....

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I might be alone on this one....but I actually like the look of them...graceful. They have just installed 113 of them near where I live.....but they are several miles off shore (I watch them from my seafront balcony!!) so Im sure don't have the impact on my life that they do if you live beside one. But Ive walked amongst them in Cornwall....they are not that noisy. The piece above about how much power they make (ie... none) is a bit out of context....sure if you compare it to all the other power generated in the world, like they were, its a tiny %....but many big countries have no wind farms. If you look at countries that do....like us ...the figures are much better. On several days last year (which admittedly was a very sunny and windy) year over 50% of the power generated in the UK was via renewables (wind and solar mainly). Another case of "there are lies, damn lies and statistics!!"

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Because it's so much more ecologically friendly to decommission a nuclear or coal powered plant :rolleyes:

Having said that, out of what materials are aircraft wings made? This might be a bit far fetched but could they not be repurposed at the end of their lives to be used in wind turbines?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I live in Wales. The greedy politicians here held out their grubby hands for the related payments...
Wow, bribery, is that true? Source?

Oh, and the Matt Ridley whose article you link to is a well known right wing climate change denier, and the arguments he uses are laughable. (e.g. only a small percentage of the world's electricity is from renewables, therefore we shouldn't bother with them. Doh.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
The noise pollution is bad enough..
What noise pollution? Please please don’t tell me the UK has been infected by the whole infrasound bullshit...? We have plenty of morons in Australia running that line and it’s depressing how gullible some people are :(

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. I mean the spooky whoosh noise. I’m not sure if you’ve heard it?

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
It's ok folks, I think we have the brains within this government to tackle the underlying issues, and the sort of special advisors we desperately need are being attracted by Dominic Cummings magnetic appeal.

Once we've really shone the light on things like enforced population control, genetically engineered 'cleansing' from our 'society' of disabilities and underclass DNA, once we've started making some headway on annoying and expensive trends towards longer life and higher end of life costs, once we've given the indigenous people an opportunity to take back control and reclaim the low skill, low pay jobs that have hitherto been stolen from them by foreigners - and then firmly shutting the door to any more of 'them', once we have started to open the book on those of 'them' who are already here and need a hand from the state to up sticks and do one back to where they came from, and once we have negotiated advantageous trade deals with the USA (obviously not to our advantage)....

.....then we can focus on taking some sensible decisions on how we can leverage the benefits of a shrinking post-Brexit economy.....and part of that will be hugely reduced energy consumption, possibly including strict limits for individuals and companies (though they won't be open as much as before anyway).

Then we won't need as many windmills.

Pop another lump of plutonium on the fire, dear.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Does anyone remember this programme from 2009? I'd used similar information and data when we discussed fossil fuels, nuclear (fission and fusion), sustainable and renewable energy with the advantages and disadvantages of each in my physics classes. It all boils down to the fact that vast amounts of energy are used by a large proportion of humans. Depending on which data is used the equivalent of what were termed 'energy slaves' amounting to several hundreds each (including me, I don't claim to be any better than anyone else).
For nearly all of human history any work done was by humans or animals. As steveisfrowning has said, the amount of energy we use has to be reduced. How? Well that is a whole other (contentious) issue for debate.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts