Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 Spider passed her MOT today !! Hooray !

So now I am setting about a few "fixes".

First on the list is a new rear windscreen which I have sorted locally for fitting in a week or so.

Second on the list is the OEM Wind Deflector which SWMBO managed to rip last year by putting the hood up with the deflector half up. The roof clears it when the deflector is down or up but not when halfway :(

Does anybody know where you can get a replacement OEM deflector or a non OEM one which uses the same fitting OR does anyone know how to repair/replace the existing mesh ?

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
You can buy mesh on eBay and replace it yourself.

I bought the mesh shown in the link below and did the job last year.
It is not that difficult.
The mesh is held in place by some rubber seals that you just undo.

When you replace the mesh just place it over the frame and put in the seals again
Be careful that the mesh is stretched out for not getting folds in the mesh

When the seals are attached again just cut the redundant mesh with a sharp knife

Cabrio Windschott - Stoff Bezug Netzstoff Reparatur Windstop Cloth textile NEU | eBay

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can buy mesh on eBay and replace it yourself.

I bought the mesh shown in the link below and did the job last year.
It is not that difficult.
The mesh is held in place by some rubber seals that you just undo.

When you replace the mesh just place it over the frame and put in the seals again
Be careful that the mesh is stretched out for not getting folds in the mesh

When the seals are attached again just cut the redundant mesh with a sharp knife

Cabrio Windschott - Stoff Bezug Netzstoff Reparatur Windstop Cloth textile NEU | eBay
Thanks. How much did you need? And did you do both parts of the deflector?
I shall have compare on eBay.co.uk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Agreed it's not difficult just a little time consuming. I used a polyester mesh similar to what is used in lining some sports clothing, as I wanted blue to match the hood - I thought it would look cool! When removing the rubber sealing strips take your time and ease it out slowly, I used a slim screwdriver. You might find the alloy frame has corroded a bit and the rubber has stuck to the metal. I rubbed it down with wet & dry to get a good key, a coat of etch primer and 2 coats of satin black spray & it looks nice. I tried to replace the rubber seals but found nothing suitable after contacting 4/5 suppliers and a couple of classic fairs. I used the old mesh as a pattern when cutting out the new.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did both part of the wind deflector
The 100x135cm was enough for both parts

I will try to upload a photo tomorrow
Ive just brought one from a German company on ebay £125.00 inc p&p and fitted in 30 mins looks excellent the guy's name is Ralf if this is any help

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive just brought one from a German company on ebay £125.00 inc p&p and fitted in 30 mins looks excellent the guy's name is Ralf if this is any help
Did you have to drill or did it fit into the OEM fitting holes?

Thinking may as well try to fix for the sake of s few quid. Not lost much of it doesn't work,

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have ordered some mesh and we are going to have a bash at the repair. The rubber seal comes out fairly easily I have discovered. I shall report back.
Well done. I did mine a year ago, takes about an hour and a bit of care. You could have done the rear windscreen yourself as well and saved some cash. Not a huge job but huge sense of satisfaction.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today my Spider was booked in to have a new rear window fitted at a local place Trimmtech in Sandbach. His main line is a postal replacement service at £60 but being local he fitted it for me. Anyway dropped the car off at 2pm as agreed and about 3pm got a phone call telling me he couldn't lift the roof! WTF? Nipped down to discover that sure enough the mechanism had "frozen" but after operating the emergency procedure all was well. An hour or so later I have a clear new rear screen, a working re-coloured (by me a week or so ago) hood and a repaired wind deflector.
Yay. Bring on the summer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts