Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please post a picture and measures of a wind back tool for 159's rear calliper pistons? Or maybe explain a procedure how to make an alternative tool.

Many thanks in advance.

Cona

·
Registered
395 Posts
If all else fails, use a valve spring compressor, with the screw end on the piston and the other end over the handbrake spring retaining bolt on the back of the caliper, lock it and screw it down nice and tight. Now firmly grip the edge of the piston with a large pair of Molegrips, ensuring you fold back the rubber seal first, and turn clockwise slowly.

Tighten the screw a bit, adjust the molegrips and turn again. Repeat until the piston has gone down into the caliper.

This has worked fine over the past few years on 2 Fiat Cromas (both 56 plate), and both my own and the daughters 156's. Quick simple and easy. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Marzy.

I want to make a tool which will make things little easier. Can anyone tell what is the diameter of a rear calliper piston on 159?

Cona

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends how you value your time and how many brakes you intend to change but the proper tools are not expensive and will mean you will never struggle whatever car you own in the future.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=BRAKE+CALIPER+PISTON+REWIND+WIND+BACK+TOOL+KIT+22PC
You have a point there One Double Six. Unfortunately, there isn’t e-bay in my country, and if I order it from another country I will pay it three times more. So my plan is to make one. I only need measures from someone who has the tool that can be used on 159, and make it.

Cona

1 - 5 of 5 Posts