Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
857 Posts
If you have a suitable laptop your money would be better spent on an ELM327 interface and a copy of FIATECUScan.

These handheld scanners will simply give you a number that you will then have to go and look up the meaning of, plus they can't give you sensor readout information, let you code in new parts or reset service indicators.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Banned
857 Posts
ELM327 is the name given to the standard interface. It is then up to the software you use it with to make it compatible with the systems of the various cars it can work with.

If you want to be sure check out the info on the FIATECUScan website, but I've found it works very reliably with the USB interfaces you get off ebay (as long as they are version 1.3 or later, which almost all of them are now).

Ignore the Bluetooth ones - although they claim to be 'version 1.5' etc. they are totally non standard and are just a 1.3 or 1.4 interface and an unrelated bluetooth to serial adapter crammed into the same box. More trouble than they are worth as bluetooth is not supported as standard in almost all ELM327 compatible software as it isn't part of the spec.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks man, that's very clear. My car is listed OK on the software site, so I'll buy the hardware interface 1.3 or later, non-bluetooth.

Your help is much appreciated.:thumbs:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks man, that's very clear. My car is listed OK on the software site, so I'll buy the hardware interface 1.3 or later, non-bluetooth.

Your help is much appreciated.:thumbs:
Have a look at Gendan here:

FiatECUScan Diagnostic Package for Fiat and Alfa Romeo cars

They supply this kit that includes both an ELM327 interface (that actually works without all the issues described on the FES forums) together with a VAGCOM KKL interface and all the adapter cables you need. It also comes with a CD that includes a fully-licensed copy of the latest version of FES plus all the drivers your laptop will require for the interfaces. Works a treat (and takes away all the guesswork).

I bought one last week that I've used it to sort issues on my 159 and a mate's 156 already. It just does what it says on the tin - the drivers installed properly, the interfaces work as they should and the adapter cables give you access to the appropriate modules.

Happy customer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts