Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

My battery keeps going flat and i was getting slighty annoyed so i thought i needed to get a new one. So i went to Halfords and was told i needed a 640 amp battery so i purchased it for £92.When it came to removing the old battery i noticed it was smaller and was a much lower amp.???:confused:

Will it make a big difference putting the correct battery on compared to the exsisting lower amp one??

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
i may be wrong, but depending on ratings etc, the cranking power will be greater (i.e, it will turn over better) might i suggest that you get to the root cause of the drain if it keeps happening with the new battery. prime causes are listed all over the place on threads in this site, and worst case, the alternator is on its way out. if you are, or know anyone who is handy with a multi meter, get them to check the output of the alternator. should be 13+ volts when idling, any lower and you might be looking at a duff one. again, lots of threads on this. hope it helps. :thumbs:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate, Thats what i was worried about.It usually goes dead after 2-3 days of not being driven so im praying its due to the lower amp battery!Ill get the alternator checked anyway just to be on the safe side!!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I believe halfords should check your battery before fitting a new one, if this is the case take it back if you still have a problem.
The rating your talking about is the cold cranking amps or in simple terms the higher the number the greater starting power, its the amp hour rating that you need to check also which should be around 65 to 75 amp hour.
If you have got a battery drain speak up and I'll advise you of checks to do yourself.:)

·
Registered
38,919 Posts
I wouldn't pay £92 for a battery. :eek:

I bought a 640 Amp battery online 3 days ago for £50 + £8 postage.

Even my local motor factor was selling them for £70, Halfrauds are expensive for batteries.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally agree! They do take the p**s but i kinda had no choice at 7pm needing to get to work the following day!! I did get a free receipt!!!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Halfrauds are not always the cheapist, unless u have a trade card :cool:, did u try other auto electricals,

and no bigger the battery the better, ( within reason) will just help the car start better and last longer,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts